Updated Apr 4, 2013 - 2:55 pm
Arizona Cardinals to hold private workout with Geno Smith
The exact day, time and location of the workout are not yet known, but the fact that the Cardinals are interested is, well, interesting.
Smith is generally regarded to be the top quarterback in this year's draft, though many believe he'd be a reach for the Cardinals at number 7. However, odds are he won't fall out of the first round, so if Arizona wants him that's likely where they'll have to grab him.
But, are the Cardinals actually interested in Smith? Are they interested in any quarterback?
With Carson Palmer, Drew Stanton and Brian Hoyer in the fold, along with Ryan Lindley, it would seem unlikely that the Cardinals are in the market to draft someone like Smith or USC's Matt Barkley, who the team is also planning on working out.
Then again, the team may just be doing its due diligence. Perhaps one of the signal callers wows Bruce Arians and his staff, or maybe the team wants to know more about the players should they fall to the second round. Or, it's possible they are trying to make QB-needy teams picking after them believe they might actually take a quarterback at seven.
Either way the Cardinals, who have already worked out North Carolina State QB Mike Glennon, appear to be interested in learning more about the options at the position.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Wolf's NFL 5 Star Games - Week 14 - Friday December 6The must-see NFL games of the weekend.
- Wolf's Film Room - Friday December 6Ron Wolfley grinds film all week and shares his findings in the Cardinals-Rams match-up
- John Clayton, ESPN NFL Insider - Friday December 6The Professor provides insight into this week's NFL headlines
- Ron Jaworski, ESPN NFL Analyst - Thursday December 5A recap of the Cardinals game in Philly and what to expect against the Rams.
- Craig Wolfley, Steelers Sideline Analyst - Thursday December 5Will Ben Roethlisberger leave the Steelers?