Updated May 7, 2013 - 8:27 am
Cardinals' Campbell: Daryl Washington is a 'guy we need on the field'
Daryl Washington's legal troubles are certainly cause for concern for the Arizona Cardinals, especially with a defense that could be without one of their key contributors next season.
Washington is under investigation for two counts of aggravated assault stemming from an incident with his ex-girlfriend. He was also suspended by the league for four games due to violating the league's substance abuse policy.
Cardinals' defensive end Calais Campbell told Arizona Sports 620's Doug & Wolf Show Monday that while he isn't privy to the details surrounding Washington's situation, he is hopeful to have his teammate back on the field.
"One thing I know for sure is I love playing with [Washington]," Campbell said. "He's an awesome guy. He's going through a tough situation right now and I don't really know all the facts and the situation and all that went down but just as a teammate he's a great guy."
Campbell said he is hopeful the Cardinals won't be without Washington for too long.
"I know him well and he's a guy that I just love playing with so I hope everything works out for the best and we don't lose him for too long because he's a guy we need on the field," Campbell stated.
Washington had 134 tackles and nine sacks for Arizona last season and was selected as a Pro Bowl alternate. He has compiled 319 tackles, 15 sacks and four interceptions over his three-year career with the Cardinals.
Daria Del Colliano, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Cardinals receive 'B' offseason grade from USA Today
- NFL.com's Rosenthal: Calais Campbell among NFL's most underrated players
- Arizona Cardinals' Andre Ellington tops ESPN list of breakout candidates
- Ron Jaworski: Arizona Cardinals' Carson Palmer 20th-best QB in NFL
- NFL.com writers: Arizona Cardinals' Larry Fitzgerald 'primed to regress in 2014'
- Dr. Cynthia Arnson - Immigration and Central America Expert - Tuesday July 22Why are we seeing this influx of immigrant minors?
- Mike Sando, ESPN NFL insider - Tuesday July 22ESPN NFL insider Mike Sando gives updates from around the NFC West as teams head into training camp.
- Lorenzo Alexander, AZ Cardinals linebacker - Friday July 18Cardinals linebacker Lorenzo Alexander talks about team expectations for 2014.
- John McClain, Houston Chronicle sportswriter - Friday July 11Houston Chronicle sportswriter John McClain talks about the Rockets’ offseason.
- Steve Keim, AZ Cardinals GM - Friday June 20Keim discusses his players progress so far and his anticipation of future signings.