Arizona Cardinals rookie Tyrann Mathieu listed as 'can't wait to see' player
Talented but troubled, the former Heisman Trophy candidate comes to the Cardinals with expectations and baggage, which makes him one of the more intriguing players heading into the season.
He's so intriguing, in fact, that ESPN analyst and former NFL coach Herm Edwards listed Mathieu, in an ESPN Insider piece, as one of five rookies he's most excited to see take the field.
It will be very interesting to see how Bruce Arians decides to use this youngster. I love his playmaking ability and he has terrific hands and eyes -- two crucial aspects to playing the cornerback position. From what I've heard it sounds like they may try him at safety to let him roam a little more and maximize his ability as a playmaker, but I worry about his ability to hold up -- and to make tackles consistently. At 5-foot-9, 186 pounds, he isn't even built like a Bob Sanders, and if they try to get him to put weight on, it could slow him down. If the Cardinals do play him at safety, they'll probably either keep him high or bring him down into the box to blitz. I see him more as a guy who should play 25-plus plays a game at the nickel spot and help on special teams this season. I think he has a chance to be a good player in this league.
- Arizona Cardinals' DE Calais Campbell: Dockett injury 'sucks,' others need to step up
- A game-time decision, Jonathan Cooper going through learning experience with Arizona Cardinals
- Arizona Cardinals RB Andre Ellington 'physically ready for that pounding' he expects this season
- Reunited with Bruce Arians, Arizona Cardinals tackle Max Starks looking forward to new challenges
- All-Access with Arians: Jobs still up for grabs, cuts will be difficult
- Peter King, SI.com senior NFL writer - Friday August 22Peter King thinks Carson Palmer could have a big year for the Cardinals.
- Michael Floyd, Cardinals wide receiver - Friday August 22Michael Floyd says he thinks he can be the best wide receiver in the NFL.
- Jared Veldheer, Cardinals tackle - Friday August 22Jared Veldheer talks about his road from a Division II college to the NFL.
- Bob McManaman- Arizona Republic senior sportswriter - Friday August 22Bob McManaman believes that Jay Feely is in danger of getting cut from the Cardinals.
- Andre Ellington- Cardinals running back - Friday August 22Andre Ellington looks forward to a break out year with the Arizona Cardinals.