Updated Aug 2, 2013 - 5:24 pm
Arizona Cardinals' Tyrann Mathieu continues to make plays in camp
One of the main agitators on defense in the first week has been rookie third-round pick Tyrann Mathieu. The LSU product had two interceptions during Thursday's practice in Tempe and continued to get his hands on balls Friday.
"Yeah, it was definitely exciting to get some turnovers," he said. "Any time you get turnovers, you put your team in position to score and that usually turns into a win."
Mathieu is also getting the attention of those on offense -- most notably quarterback Carson Palmer.
"Tyrann is getting his hands on a lot of balls," Palmer said Friday. "He's so quick and explosive in and out of breaks and reading concepts and knowing coverages and weaknesses in where we're trying to throw the ball."
Mathieu believes a lot of that has to do with his ever-growing comfort level. After a full year away from the game, it's all coming back to the 2011 SEC Defensive Player of the Year and Heisman Trophy finalist.
"I think the game is definitely slowing down for me," he said. "Right now, I'm just trying to get used to the shoulder pads and just running around out there just really trying to have some fun. It's camp, sometimes it's redundant so you just want to go out here and have some fun when you get on the field."
But it wasn't all fun for Mathieu on Friday. Former college teammate and fellow defensive back Patrick Peterson lined up on offense and beat Mathieu deep on a long pass from Palmer.
"I think he's a little faster than me," Mathieu admitted with a smile. "He got me on that one, so hopefully (Saturday) I'll get him back."
The Cardinals will hold their Red-White scrimmage Saturday at University of Phoenix Stadium. The session is open to the public and gets underway at 2:00 p.m.
Vince Marotta, Co-host - Bickley & Marotta, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Arizona Cardinals place Tyrann Mathieu and Alameda Ta'amu on PUP list
- Cardinals receive 'B' offseason grade from USA Today
- NFL.com's Rosenthal: Calais Campbell among NFL's most underrated players
- Arizona Cardinals' Andre Ellington tops ESPN list of breakout candidates
- Ron Jaworski: Arizona Cardinals' Carson Palmer 20th-best QB in NFL
- Dr. Cynthia Arnson - Immigration and Central America Expert - Tuesday July 22Why are we seeing this influx of immigrant minors?
- Mike Sando, ESPN NFL insider - Tuesday July 22ESPN NFL insider Mike Sando gives updates from around the NFC West as teams head into training camp.
- Lorenzo Alexander, AZ Cardinals linebacker - Friday July 18Cardinals linebacker Lorenzo Alexander talks about team expectations for 2014.
- John McClain, Houston Chronicle sportswriter - Friday July 11Houston Chronicle sportswriter John McClain talks about the Rockets’ offseason.
- Steve Keim, AZ Cardinals GM - Friday June 20Keim discusses his players progress so far and his anticipation of future signings.