Tyrann Mathieu is a lottery ticket
The most difficult aspect of making the transition from college to the NFL is found between the ears. The game is so much more complicated, complex and volatile; schemes are multifaceted and evolving.
And Tyrann Mathieu has learned three different positions for three personnel packages! He has played corner, nickel corner and safety in base, nickel and dime personnel packages. He knows it and is making plays.
For a former player like myself, understanding how complex the game is at this level, I could not be any more impressed.
But I'm not the only one impressed.
One scout told me that Tyrann Mathieu was, "pound-for-pound, the best player on the field." And while conversing with an offensive assistant coach he told me that he believed, "No. 32 was going to change the team."
My jaw is still hanging as I write this. These are things you don't hear from grizzled, hardcore professionals. And yet all of it won't matter unless Tyrann understands the burden he carries. It will all be for naught if he doesn't accept the responsibility of keeping himself on the straight and narrow.
Risk/reward is something every GM must take into account when bringing a player into the organization. And Mathieu was a risk; but as it stands right now, Steve Keim should buy a lottery ticket.
Ron Wolfley, Co-host of Doug & Wolf
- Arizona Cardinals Bruce Arians not surprised James Harrison retired
- Christian Tupou, Kevin Cone, Dominique Williams added to Arizona Cardinals' practice squad
- New Arizona Cardinals LB Thomas Keiser: I wanted to go pass rush for somebody
- Former Arizona Cardinals quarterback Max Hall arrested on shoplifting, drug charges
- Arizona Cardinals' GM Steve Keim: Jonathan Cooper will be great for the team
- Bruce Arians- Cardinals head coach - Tuesday September 2Bruce Arians thinks the NFC West has gotten stronger in 2014.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday September 2Will the NFL suspend 49ers' defensive end Ray McDonald?
- Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi! - Tuesday September 2It's Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi!
- Steve Keim - Arizona Cardinals GM - Tuesday September 2Steve Keim discusses whether or not the Cardinals roster is set.
- Darren Urban - azcardinals.com - Friday August 29Darren Urban breaks down the latest surrounding the Cardinals' impending roster moves