Arizona Cardinal Eric Winston looks to keep proving himself
"I've never signed up, in any sport, to be a backup and ride the bench and be happy about not playing," he told Arizona Sports 620's Burns and Gambo Wednesday. "That's just always been me.
"When I came here I was looking to win the job. Not be given the job; but I was looking to win the job."
As of now, it would appear he's done just that. The former Houston Texan and Kansas City Chief is listed as the starting right tackle on the team's initial depth chart, and he's been getting practice reps with the first team in training camp.
That said, Winston said he knows enough about how the NFL works to understand that just because he's the starter one day does not mean he will be the next, so he has to continue to practice well and then transfer that into games.
"You're always as good as the last thing you put on tape, so if I go to Green Bay and not play well, it probably opens the door for other guys," he said. "So I've got to consistently stack good practices together and stack good games together."
Winston added that the mentality is one he's carried with him his entire career.
"No matter how much money you're making, you've got to go out there and prove to your teammates and prove to everybody else that you're worthy of your spot, you're worthy of the place on your team and you have to go out there and do it."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Free agent kicker Jay Feely announces he's re-signed with Arizona Cardinals
- NFL Draft '14: Six-round mock draft for the Arizona Cardinals
- Cardinals running back Rashard Mendenhall calls it quits in Huffington Post article
- NFL writer: Cardinals could turn attention to Jared Veldheer if Branden Albert heads to Dolphins
- PFT: All signs point to free agent tackle Albert signing with Dolphins
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Sports Cardinals beat writer - Monday March 10Kent Somers talks all things Cardinals free agency.
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Sports Cardinals beat writer - Thursday March 6Kent Somers discusses the Cardinals' efforts to sign Karlos Dansby.
- Pete Prisco, CBSSports.com NFL writer - Thursday March 6Pete Prisco of CBS Sports discusses the NFL offseason and the NFL draft.
- Jay Feely, Cardinals kicker - Thursday March 6Would a change to the extra point actually hinder player safety?
- Dave Pasch, ESPN play-by-play announcer - Tuesday March 4Dave Pasch, ESPN play-by-play announcer, discusses UA and ASU basketball.