Arizona Cardinal Eric Winston looks to keep proving himself
"I've never signed up, in any sport, to be a backup and ride the bench and be happy about not playing," he told Arizona Sports 620's Burns and Gambo Wednesday. "That's just always been me.
"When I came here I was looking to win the job. Not be given the job; but I was looking to win the job."
As of now, it would appear he's done just that. The former Houston Texan and Kansas City Chief is listed as the starting right tackle on the team's initial depth chart, and he's been getting practice reps with the first team in training camp.
That said, Winston said he knows enough about how the NFL works to understand that just because he's the starter one day does not mean he will be the next, so he has to continue to practice well and then transfer that into games.
"You're always as good as the last thing you put on tape, so if I go to Green Bay and not play well, it probably opens the door for other guys," he said. "So I've got to consistently stack good practices together and stack good games together."
Winston added that the mentality is one he's carried with him his entire career.
"No matter how much money you're making, you've got to go out there and prove to your teammates and prove to everybody else that you're worthy of your spot, you're worthy of the place on your team and you have to go out there and do it."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Arizona Cardinals kicker Jay Feely 'grateful' for chance to keep kicking
- Arizona Cardinals wide receiver Michael Floyd to make preseason debut Sunday vs. Bengals
- Report: Arizona Cardinals to work out Isaac Sopoaga
- Arizona Cardinals RB Andre Ellington excited to see more action in next preseason game
- Arizona Cardinals safety Tyrann Mathieu, nose tackle Alameda Ta'amu activated from PUP list
- Kent Somers- azcentral sports Cardinals beat writer - Tuesday August 19Kent Somers discusses how the Cardinals plan to fill the hole left by the Darnell Dockett injury.
- Larry Fitzgerald- Cardinals receiver - Tuesday August 19Larry Fitzgerald explains the value of Darnell Dockett to the Arizona Cardinals franchise.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday August 19The weather in Phoenix matches the mood as Darnell Dockett is done for the season.
- Dave Pasch, NFL and college football analyst - Tuesday August 19Dave Pasch discusses the Cardinals losing Darnell Dockett for the season.
- Frank Caliendo, comedian & impressionist - Tuesday August 19Frank Caliendo makes us laugh and we count how many famous names he drops in his stories!