Arizona Cardinals' Larry Fitzgerald talks Incognito/Martin situation
And just like all rookies, he was hazed some.
"I know that my rookie year I spent more than $15,000 on taking care of my veteran teammates," the receiver told ESPN Radio's Colin Cowherd Tuesday morning.
In fact, Fitzgerald said he did not have a problem with spending the money because he viewed it as his "duty" to do just that.
But what happened in Miami with the Dolphins, where rookies have allegedly been expected to serve as ATMs, seems to be a bit over the top.
And as for the abuse Richie Incognito allegedly sent Jonathan Martin's way?
"I don't think there's a place in the locker room, I don't think there's a place in society for that type of language and behavior," Fitzgerald said. "To treat somebody that you would consider a friend -- you know, the offensive linemen in the NFL are usually the most close-knit group out of any of the positions, I mean, they work together, all five of them have to work together for your team to have success offensively.
"To see that kind of dissension and disdain was saddening."
It's the type of thing Fitzgerald said a team's leaders need to step in and stop.
"When you have those kind of risks in your locker room it divides the team," he said. "Potentially, it can cause a cancer and your team can plummet."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- The 5: Top storylines heading into Arizona Cardinals training camp
- Arizona Cardinals' Patrick Peterson and Michael Floyd rank high on ESPN's list of top under-25 players
- ESPN: Arizona Cardinals loaded with under-25 talent
- Arizona Cardinals place Tyrann Mathieu and Alameda Ta'amu on PUP list
- Cardinals receive 'B' offseason grade from USA Today
- Bickley Blast - Thursday July 24What will the future hold for the Cardinals and Larry Fitzgerald?
- Dr. Cynthia Arnson - Immigration and Central America Expert - Tuesday July 22Why are we seeing this influx of immigrant minors?
- Mike Sando, ESPN NFL insider - Tuesday July 22ESPN NFL insider Mike Sando gives updates from around the NFC West as teams head into training camp.
- Lorenzo Alexander, AZ Cardinals linebacker - Friday July 18Cardinals linebacker Lorenzo Alexander talks about team expectations for 2014.
- John McClain, Houston Chronicle sportswriter - Friday July 11Houston Chronicle sportswriter John McClain talks about the Rockets’ offseason.