Arizona Cardinals' Larry Fitzgerald talks Incognito/Martin situation
And just like all rookies, he was hazed some.
"I know that my rookie year I spent more than $15,000 on taking care of my veteran teammates," the receiver told ESPN Radio's Colin Cowherd Tuesday morning.
In fact, Fitzgerald said he did not have a problem with spending the money because he viewed it as his "duty" to do just that.
But what happened in Miami with the Dolphins, where rookies have allegedly been expected to serve as ATMs, seems to be a bit over the top.
And as for the abuse Richie Incognito allegedly sent Jonathan Martin's way?
"I don't think there's a place in the locker room, I don't think there's a place in society for that type of language and behavior," Fitzgerald said. "To treat somebody that you would consider a friend -- you know, the offensive linemen in the NFL are usually the most close-knit group out of any of the positions, I mean, they work together, all five of them have to work together for your team to have success offensively.
"To see that kind of dissension and disdain was saddening."
It's the type of thing Fitzgerald said a team's leaders need to step in and stop.
"When you have those kind of risks in your locker room it divides the team," he said. "Potentially, it can cause a cancer and your team can plummet."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Cardinals Sunday Night Football game against Bengals sold out
- All-Access with Arians: Running game is fine, defense is better than last year
- John Abraham feels good after first practice, confident he'll be ready soon
- Arizona Cardinals release DT Anthony McCloud
- Forbes: Larry Fitzgerald among most overpaid players in NFL
- Deone Bucannon- Cardinals safety - Thursday August 21Deone Bucannon talks about finding his role on the Cardinals' defense.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday August 21Bruce Arians loves the look of his defense at this point in training camp.
- Calais Campbell, AZ Cardinals DE - Thursday August 21Calais talks about the state of the Cardinals defense.
- Lyle Sendlein, Cardinals center - Wednesday August 20Lyle Sendlein talks about coming back from his injury and the loss of Darnell Dockett.
- Jake Plummer- Former Cardinals and Sun Devils quarterback - Wednesday August 20Jake Plummer says Johnny Manziel is just passionate about the game of football.