Arizona Cardinals' Larry Fitzgerald talks Incognito/Martin situation
And just like all rookies, he was hazed some.
"I know that my rookie year I spent more than $15,000 on taking care of my veteran teammates," the receiver told ESPN Radio's Colin Cowherd Tuesday morning.
In fact, Fitzgerald said he did not have a problem with spending the money because he viewed it as his "duty" to do just that.
But what happened in Miami with the Dolphins, where rookies have allegedly been expected to serve as ATMs, seems to be a bit over the top.
And as for the abuse Richie Incognito allegedly sent Jonathan Martin's way?
"I don't think there's a place in the locker room, I don't think there's a place in society for that type of language and behavior," Fitzgerald said. "To treat somebody that you would consider a friend -- you know, the offensive linemen in the NFL are usually the most close-knit group out of any of the positions, I mean, they work together, all five of them have to work together for your team to have success offensively.
"To see that kind of dissension and disdain was saddening."
It's the type of thing Fitzgerald said a team's leaders need to step in and stop.
"When you have those kind of risks in your locker room it divides the team," he said. "Potentially, it can cause a cancer and your team can plummet."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- With Jared Veldheer signing, Steve Keim has done it again
- Numbers say Jared Veldheer is a big pickup for the Arizona Cardinals
- Team broadcaster 'mystified' that Raiders let Jared Veldheer go to Arizona Cardinals
- Arizona Cardinals benefit from the Carson Palmer effect
- It's official: Arizona Cardinals re-sign trio of players, release Daryn Colledge
- Tom Flores, Oakland Raiders radio color commentator - Tuesday March 11Tom Flores discusses Cardinals signing of left tackle Jared Veldheer.
- Mike Sando, ESPN NFL insider - Tuesday March 11Is Jim Harbaugh still welcome in San Francisco?
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Sports Cardinals beat writer - Monday March 10Kent Somers talks all things Cardinals free agency.
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Sports Cardinals beat writer - Thursday March 6Kent Somers discusses the Cardinals' efforts to sign Karlos Dansby.
- Pete Prisco, CBSSports.com NFL writer - Thursday March 6Pete Prisco of CBS Sports discusses the NFL offseason and the NFL draft.