Updated Nov 11, 2013 - 6:09 pm
Justin Bethel makes big impact on special teams
The defensive back out of Presbyterian has tallied 23 total tackles, 10 of which have come this season. He has yet to record an interception, sack, forced fumble or fumble recovery. He has, however, blocked two field goals this season, and Sunday Cardinals coach Bruce Arians said there are very few guys who can do what Bethel does.
"He's a Pro Bowl player," Cardinals coach Bruce Arians said Monday. "If he doesn't get in, it's a shame. Not only as a coverage guy and a vice, but there are very very few guys who come off the edge and block field goals because no one's doing anything wrong, you're just beating the kick time.
"He's got great anticipation and feel for when to leave his feet."
A 6-foot, 200-pound player, Bethel's role has primarily been on special teams, where he serves as a gunner on punt coverage and edge rusher during field goals. It was in the latter role where he's made the most noticeable impact. In Week 2, he blocked a 47-yard David Akers field goal attempt, keeping the Cardinals within two points in the fourth quarter, and Sunday against Houston his block of Randy Bullock's 40-yard field goal attempt as the second quarter expired kept the Texans' lead at three.
The Cardinals rallied to win both games.
"The blocked field goal, 31 is the guy that we emphasized," Texans interim head coach Wade Phillips said. "It's the guy that we've got to stop because he's the field goal blocker, and he did it."
It likely will not be the last time for Bethel, though his reputation will precede him and cause teams to start game planning in order to stop him.
"You better," Arians said. "He has enough on tape that if you don't, he's going to hurt you."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Arizona Cardinals place Tyrann Mathieu and Alameda Ta'amu on PUP list
- Cardinals receive 'B' offseason grade from USA Today
- NFL.com's Rosenthal: Calais Campbell among NFL's most underrated players
- Arizona Cardinals' Andre Ellington tops ESPN list of breakout candidates
- Ron Jaworski: Arizona Cardinals' Carson Palmer 20th-best QB in NFL
- Dr. Cynthia Arnson - Immigration and Central America Expert - Tuesday July 22Why are we seeing this influx of immigrant minors?
- Mike Sando, ESPN NFL insider - Tuesday July 22ESPN NFL insider Mike Sando gives updates from around the NFC West as teams head into training camp.
- Lorenzo Alexander, AZ Cardinals linebacker - Friday July 18Cardinals linebacker Lorenzo Alexander talks about team expectations for 2014.
- John McClain, Houston Chronicle sportswriter - Friday July 11Houston Chronicle sportswriter John McClain talks about the Rockets’ offseason.
- Steve Keim, AZ Cardinals GM - Friday June 20Keim discusses his players progress so far and his anticipation of future signings.