Updated Nov 19, 2013 - 8:52 am
Drafting Michael Floyd in 2012 proving to be the right call for the Arizona Cardinals
There was some debate in the 2012 draft as to where Arizona would go with the 13th overall pick. They were desperate for offensive line help and Riley Reiff, David DeCastro, Kevin Zeitler, Cordy Glenn and Jonathan Martin were still in the board when Arizona's pick came up.
But needing to fill a void for a number-two receiver and possible future #1, they selected the Notre Dame standout despite a drunken driving citation that led to a suspension in college.
Arizona had struggled to find a complement to Larry Fitzgerald since Anquan Boldin was traded. Players like Steve Breaston, Early Doucet and Andre Roberts failed to give Arizona a dynamic duo at wideout.
There were some doubts about Floyd last season as to whether he could elevate his game to become a primary receiver. He had a decent season with 45 receptions for 562 yards and two touchdowns.
But this season, Floyd has emerged as a go-to receiver. He has led the Cardinals in receiving yards in four of the last seven games. He leads the team in receiving yards with 657, which is 103 more than Fitzgerald.
He is proving that Arizona made the right call in the 2012 draft and he way very well develop into a future #1.
John Gambadoro, Co-host of Burns & Gambo
- Cardinals receive 'B' offseason grade from USA Today
- NFL.com's Rosenthal: Calais Campbell among NFL's most underrated players
- Arizona Cardinals' Andre Ellington tops ESPN list of breakout candidates
- Ron Jaworski: Arizona Cardinals' Carson Palmer 20th-best QB in NFL
- NFL.com writers: Arizona Cardinals' Larry Fitzgerald 'primed to regress in 2014'
- Dr. Cynthia Arnson - Immigration and Central America Expert - Tuesday July 22Why are we seeing this influx of immigrant minors?
- Mike Sando, ESPN NFL insider - Tuesday July 22ESPN NFL insider Mike Sando gives updates from around the NFC West as teams head into training camp.
- Lorenzo Alexander, AZ Cardinals linebacker - Friday July 18Cardinals linebacker Lorenzo Alexander talks about team expectations for 2014.
- John McClain, Houston Chronicle sportswriter - Friday July 11Houston Chronicle sportswriter John McClain talks about the Rockets’ offseason.
- Steve Keim, AZ Cardinals GM - Friday June 20Keim discusses his players progress so far and his anticipation of future signings.