Updated Nov 19, 2013 - 8:52 am
Drafting Michael Floyd in 2012 proving to be the right call for the Arizona Cardinals
There was some debate in the 2012 draft as to where Arizona would go with the 13th overall pick. They were desperate for offensive line help and Riley Reiff, David DeCastro, Kevin Zeitler, Cordy Glenn and Jonathan Martin were still in the board when Arizona's pick came up.
But needing to fill a void for a number-two receiver and possible future #1, they selected the Notre Dame standout despite a drunken driving citation that led to a suspension in college.
Arizona had struggled to find a complement to Larry Fitzgerald since Anquan Boldin was traded. Players like Steve Breaston, Early Doucet and Andre Roberts failed to give Arizona a dynamic duo at wideout.
There were some doubts about Floyd last season as to whether he could elevate his game to become a primary receiver. He had a decent season with 45 receptions for 562 yards and two touchdowns.
But this season, Floyd has emerged as a go-to receiver. He has led the Cardinals in receiving yards in four of the last seven games. He leads the team in receiving yards with 657, which is 103 more than Fitzgerald.
He is proving that Arizona made the right call in the 2012 draft and he way very well develop into a future #1.
John Gambadoro, Co-host of Burns & Gambo
- The Pulse: Two-thirds of voters say Arizona Cardinals should go with a new kicker
- Arizona Cardinals safety Deone Bucannon: clean hits 'something I have to learn'
- Notes from the Nest: Aug. 21, 2014
- Michael Floyd knocking off the rust as he returns to field for Arizona Cardinals
- Cardinals Sunday Night Football game against Bengals sold out
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Cardinals beat writer - Thursday August 21Kent Somers talks about how many touches Andre Ellington should get per game.
- Bruce Arians, Cardinals head coach - Thursday August 21Bruce Arians discusses the importance of Sunday's third preseason game.
- Darren Urban, AZcardinals.com beat writer - Thursday August 21Darren Urban discusses what the Cardinals will do without Darnell Dockett
- Ted Larsen, Cardinals offensive linemen - Thursday August 21Ted Larsen talks about making the move from center to left guard.
- Deone Bucannon- Cardinals safety - Thursday August 21Deone Bucannon talks about finding his role on the Cardinals' defense.