Updated Nov 24, 2013 - 8:02 pm
Arizona Cardinals defense holds another elite QB in check
Like Cam Newton and Matt Ryan before him, Luck struggled at University of Phoenix Stadium Sunday, completing just 20-of-39 passes for 163 yards with one touchdown and one interception. The Indianapolis Colts quarterback finished with his worst completion percentage, yards per attempt and QB rating of the season.
The interception, by the way, was returned for a touchdown, meaning Luck threw as many touchdown passes for the Cardinals as he did is own team.
"It stinks. It's frustrating, but we realize the onus is on us to get it fixed," Luck said. "It's on the players to do our job. I have to do my job much better if we are to have a chance to win consistently. We know that."
Of course, it may have helped that Cardinals coach Bruce Arians and much of his staff was familiar with Luck, given the fact many of them were in Indianapolis last season.
"No, because their offense is totally different," Cardinals coach Arians said when asked if his knowledge of Luck and the Colts played a role in the dominant performance by his defense. "I give all of the credit to (defensive coordinator) Todd (Bowles).
"I didn't even talk to Todd, other than personnel, what guys can and can't do. Not a bit about scheme or anything like that. Todd and the defensive staff did a great job."
It's become a theme this season, and especially so during the Cardinals' four-game win streak.
With their performance Sunday, the Cardinals are now allowing opposing quarterbacks to complete just 59 percent of their passes for 235.8 yards per game. Their 15 interceptions are tied for third in the NFL, and the rating of 77.8 that quarterbacks are posting against them ranks eighth.
"No question," safety Tyrann Mathieu said of the defense taking pride in shutting down some of the game's best passers. "The secondary, we take pride in that. We put it on our shoulders when, obviously, most teams can't run the football on us.
"So when it's time to pass the ball, the secondary, we're licking our lips; we're chomping our teeth; we're definitely trying to get after the football."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- With Jared Veldheer signing, Steve Keim has done it again
- Numbers say Jared Veldheer is a big pickup for the Arizona Cardinals
- Team broadcaster 'mystified' that Raiders let Jared Veldheer go to Arizona Cardinals
- Arizona Cardinals benefit from the Carson Palmer effect
- It's official: Arizona Cardinals re-sign trio of players, release Daryn Colledge
- Tom Flores, Oakland Raiders radio color commentator - Tuesday March 11Tom Flores discusses Cardinals signing of left tackle Jared Veldheer.
- Mike Sando, ESPN NFL insider - Tuesday March 11Is Jim Harbaugh still welcome in San Francisco?
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Sports Cardinals beat writer - Monday March 10Kent Somers talks all things Cardinals free agency.
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Sports Cardinals beat writer - Thursday March 6Kent Somers discusses the Cardinals' efforts to sign Karlos Dansby.
- Pete Prisco, CBSSports.com NFL writer - Thursday March 6Pete Prisco of CBS Sports discusses the NFL offseason and the NFL draft.