Updated Jan 14, 2014 - 8:53 am
PFT names Arizona Cardinals GM Steve Keim Executive of the Year
Tuesday, they named Arizona Cardinals general manager Steve Keim as their Executive of the Year.
Keim, in his first year in the position, engineered a hefty roster overhaul that helped the Cardinals increase their win total from five in 2012 to 10 in 2013 -- a total that narrowly missed the playoffs.
In his first year of running the show, the former N.C. State offensive lineman expertly blended the desire to win now with the importance of building for the future. The acquisition of quarterback Carson Palmer helped make the team a postseason contender, and late offseason moves for tackle Eric Winston and pass rusher John Abraham gave the team enhanced veteran leadership and an affordable infusion of talent.
Keim also got the steal of the 2013 draft by landing Tyrann Mathieu in round three. (Running back Andre Ellington in the sixth round wasn't bad, either.)
Keim was chosen over Seattle's John Schneider, Kansas City's John Dorsey, San Francisco's Trent Baalke, Denver's John Elway and San Diego's Tom Telesco.
- Arizona Cardinals linebacker Larry Foote says defense is good enough to overcome Darnell Dockett injury
- Notes from the Nest: Aug. 22, 2014
- Arizona Cardinals' DE Calais Campbell: Dockett injury 'sucks,' others need to step up
- A game-time decision, Jonathan Cooper going through learning experience with Arizona Cardinals
- Arizona Cardinals RB Andre Ellington bulks up in anticipation of harder hits this season
- Peter King, SI.com senior NFL writer - Friday August 22Peter King thinks Carson Palmer could have a big year for the Cardinals.
- Michael Floyd, Cardinals wide receiver - Friday August 22Michael Floyd says he thinks he can be the best wide receiver in the NFL.
- Jared Veldheer, Cardinals tackle - Friday August 22Jared Veldheer talks about his road from a Division II college to the NFL.
- Bob McManaman- Arizona Republic senior sportswriter - Friday August 22Bob McManaman believes that Jay Feely is in danger of getting cut from the Cardinals.
- Andre Ellington- Cardinals running back - Friday August 22Andre Ellington looks forward to a break out year with the Arizona Cardinals.