Updated Jan 15, 2014 - 2:23 pm
Looks like the Arizona Cardinals will keep Todd Bowles
Bowles spoke with the Cleveland Browns and Minnesota Vikings about their vacancies, and was supposedly a finalist for the Minnesota job.
Tuesday, Bowles told the Cleveland Browns to remove him from consideration, and Wednesday the Vikings tabbed Cincinnati Bengals defensive coordinator Mike Zimmer to be their coach.
The Cardinals may have dodged a bullet.
Vikings told Todd Bowles if they didn't hire Zimmer, he was their guy.— Josh Weinfuss (@joshweinfuss) January 15, 2014
So, it looks like Bowles will be back in Arizona for a second season.
It's not the worst thing that could happen for either party, as Bowles will have another year to prove his mettle and the Cardinals will benefit from having him still leading the defense.
Last year, Bowles' first with the Cardinals, he helped the team lead the NFL in rushing defense and finish sixth overall. Arizona finished tied for sixth in the league with 47 sacks and their 30 turnovers tied for sixth.
Producing another season like the one they just had would likely lead to more head coaching interviews for Bowles next offseason, with the good chance that he would end up landing one of the jobs.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Jared Veldheer, Cardinals new left tackle - Wednesday March 12Jared Veldheer discusses his recent signing with the Cardinals.
- Dave Pasch, voice of the Arizona Cardinals - Wednesday March 12Dave Pasch explains what it is like to work with Bill Walton.
- Tom Flores, Oakland Raiders radio color commentator - Tuesday March 11Tom Flores discusses Cardinals signing of left tackle Jared Veldheer.
- Mike Sando, ESPN NFL insider - Tuesday March 11Is Jim Harbaugh still welcome in San Francisco?
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Sports Cardinals beat writer - Monday March 10Kent Somers talks all things Cardinals free agency.