Updated May 21, 2014 - 1:15 pm
Antonio Cromartie says there's 'potential' in the Arizona Cardinals' secondary
Cromartie, a three-time Pro Bowler -- including each of the past two seasons -- will line up with cornerback Patrick Peterson to create one of the best cornerback tandems in the NFL.
"There's a lot potential here," Cromartie said at OTAs on Tuesday. "It's all about us coming and gelling together."
Cromartie, 30, was the Jets' top cornerback in 2013 after the team traded Darrelle Revis to Tampa Bay. In his eight-year career, the last four with New York, Cromartie intercepted 28 passes.
On the other side of the field, Peterson has 12 career interceptions and has emerged as an elite cornerback. After dabbling a bit on offense and being the team's primary punt returner the last three seasons, Peterson is expected to be focused squarely on his defensive role in 2014.
"It's a passing league," Peterson said. "It's going to take us to win ballgames."
All of the potential that the Cardinals have still has to materialize on the field, and the back end of the secondary is relatively young.
Peterson, entering his fourth season in the NFL, is the longest tenured with the Cardinals among the likely secondary starters in 2014.
Second-year safety Tyrann Mathieu is coming off tears to his ACL and LCL and first-round pick Deone Bucannon figures to start a rookie.
"I'm in love with the new look," Peterson said.
- Notes from the Nest: Aug. 1, 2014
- Arizona Cardinals LB John Abraham releases statement on June DUI arrest
- Arizona Cardinals' Jay Feely on proposal to push PATs back: 'There's going to be a lot more injuries'
- Cardinals rookie receiver John Brown doing more than relying on physical talents in training camp
- All-Access with Bruce Arians: Brown sits out, Starks adds depth, Abraham will be in camp 'soon'
- Kareem Martin, Arizona Cardinals defensive end - Friday August 1Arizona Cardinals’ defensive end Kareem Martin speaks on his first NFL training camp experience.
- Tony Jefferson, Arizona Cardinals safety - Friday August 1Arizona Cardinals’ safety Tony Jefferson discusses training camp improvements.
- Bob McManaman, azcentral sports writer - Friday August 1azcentral sports writer Bob McManaman joins the show at Cardinals training camp.
- John Brown, Cardinals wide receiver - Friday August 1Cardinals rookie wide receiver John Brown says he is different from other rookies.
- Bickley Blast - Friday August 1Are the fortunes of the Arizona Cardinals changing?