Arizona Cardinals' Andre Ellington tabbed as 2014 'breakout player' by CBS Sports
The Arizona Cardinals nabbed running back Andre Ellington out of Clemson with a sixth-round pick in 2013. Ellington had two consecutive 1,000-yard seasons for the Tigers, and when his career was done, he left campus as the fourth-leading rusher (3,404 yards) in the program's storied history.
Ellington didn't disappoint as a rookie, either, running for 652 yards on just 118 carries. His 5.5 yards per carry was the best in the National Football League.
And he's just getting started. Ellington is poised for a big 2014 season, according to CBS Sports' Pete Prisco, who compiled his list of 25 breakout players for the upcoming season.
Look up my favorite term "air back" and his picture would be next to it. He is fast, has elusiveness and can contribute in a big way in the passing game. He will be the Arizona feature back, which is a good thing.
Considering that Cardinals head coach Bruce Arians wants to get Ellington "25 to 30 touches per game" in 2014, the second-year back should get more than ample opportunity to prove Prisco correct.
Vince Marotta, Co-host - Bickley & Marotta, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Arizona Cardinals kicker Jay Feely 'grateful' for chance to keep kicking
- Arizona Cardinals wide receiver Michael Floyd to make preseason debut Sunday vs. Bengals
- Report: Arizona Cardinals to work out Isaac Sopoaga
- Arizona Cardinals RB Andre Ellington excited to see more action in next preseason game
- Arizona Cardinals safety Tyrann Mathieu, nose tackle Alameda Ta'amu activated from PUP list
- Kent Somers- azcentral sports Cardinals beat writer - Tuesday August 19Kent Somers discusses how the Cardinals plan to fill the hole left by the Darnell Dockett injury.
- Larry Fitzgerald- Cardinals receiver - Tuesday August 19Larry Fitzgerald explains the value of Darnell Dockett to the Arizona Cardinals franchise.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday August 19The weather in Phoenix matches the mood as Darnell Dockett is done for the season.
- Dave Pasch, NFL and college football analyst - Tuesday August 19Dave Pasch discusses the Cardinals losing Darnell Dockett for the season.
- Frank Caliendo, comedian & impressionist - Tuesday August 19Frank Caliendo makes us laugh and we count how many famous names he drops in his stories!