Diamondbacks slip back to .500
At 72-72, the Diamondbacks are .500 for the first time since they were 1-1.
Despite once being nine games over .500, at 34-25 on June 5, Kirk Gibson's club has slowly, gradually slipped into mediocrity and out of playoff contention -- now standing 13 games back from the Dodgers, who they once held an 8.5 game lead over in the National League West, and nine games back of the Cincinnati Reds in the race for the second NL Wild Card.
Tuesday was the tenth time the Diamondbacks had faced falling to .500 this season and Wednesday will be just the second time they'll face the prospect of a losing record, the last time, of course, being back on April 2.
After going 15-12 in both April and May, the Diamondbacks went 12-15 in June, 13-13 in July, 14-13 in August and they're now 3-7 in September.
Back in June, the team was outscored 130-120 -- a marginal deficit when placed beside the current month's lackluster efforts. So far in September, the Diamondbacks have scored 23 runs while their opponents have scored 47 runs.
With their struggles, their elimination magic numbers are now at 6 and 9, respectively -- the former representing their standing in the NL West and the latter representing their chances at a Wild Card spot.
- Diamondbacks reinstate A.J. Pollock and Chris Owings from DL
- MLB debutant delivers for Padres in win over D-backs
- Cahill, D-backs' offense struggle in loss to Padres: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks reinstate Daniel Hudson, Cody Ross from the disabled list
- Dose of Venom: Anderson dominates, Diamondbacks finish home stand with win over Rockies
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs Manager - Tuesday September 2Kirk Gibson discusses Daniel Hudson returning to the D-backs roster.
- Augie Ojeda, former Arizona Diamondback - Friday August 29Doug and Wolf chat with former Diamondback Augie Ojeda.
- Travis Lee, former D-backs first baseman - Thursday August 28Travis Lee shares some stories and memories from playing with the D-backs.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday August 28Derrick Hall discusses the home plate rule in the new instant replay system.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 27ESPN baseball analyst Tim Kurkjian believes Matt Williams is good for the Nationals.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.