Updated May 30, 2014 - 5:07 pm
Arizona Diamondbacks' J.J. Putz 'encouraged' after simulated game
"Well, you can't get much worse conditions," the Diamondbacks' 37-year-old reliever said on Friday. "The nice thing is that you got good and loose. I'm sure we're going to play games when it's hot outside, so it's just part of it."
Putz added he was "full go," throwing all of his pitches.
"I thought it went well. Threw some good pitches. Split was a little inconsistent, but other than that, mixed it up well," he said standing at his locker inside the clubhouse. "I'm encouraged by it. I felt good about it."
So, too, did manager Kirk Gibson, who watched from behind home plate, shielded by the batting practice cage alongside pitching coach Mike Harkey and pitching consultant Dave Duncan.
"His fastball command is what you're interested in," Gibson said. "Thought he got a little tired at the end, but overall, for the first time on the mound, I thought he did pretty good."
Putz was placed on the 15-day disabled list retroactive to May 4. Prior to that, he had made 13 relief appearances, going 1-0 with a 5.40 ERA (6 ER in 10.0 IP), six walks and 12 strikeouts.
Gibson said the plan is for Putz to throw another simulated game on Monday morning at Salt River Fields and then if all goes well, he'll throw back-to-back games in a rehab assignment on Thursday and Friday.
"We expect that he'll be fine, but you never know," Gibson said. "He might show up with some soreness."
Putz, in the last year of a contract that pays him $7 million, expected he would need some time before returning to the active roster.
"Yeah, I'll probably have to throw a couple of games," he said before having had a chance to speak to Gibson. "I think that'll be beneficial."
Craig Grialou, Reporter
- Collmenter, D-backs down Padres, snap losing streak
- Dose of Venom: Collmenter dazzles in D-backs' win over Padres
- D-backs CEO Derrick Hall says Tony La Russa will teach, but will not manage
- Diamondbacks fall to Nationals 1-0 on walk-off error: By The Numbers
- Nationals win 9th in row, nip D-backs in 9th
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday August 20Kevin Towers talks about the future of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Friday August 15Tim Kurkjian discusses what new commissioner Rob Manfred means for Major League Baseball.
- What's on your mind? - Friday August 15Vince Marotta shares what he is thinking about this week.