Updated Dec 8, 2011 - 11:42 am
Gambo: Justin Wilcox is new frontrunner for ASU
Arizona Sports 620's John Gambadoro sent out the following tweet Thursday morning:
While its impossible to determine how many cooks are in the ASU kitchen -- I am being told that Tenn DC Wilcox is a frontrunner for the job
That's Justin Wilcox, the 36-year-old defensive coordinator under Derek Dooley at the University of Tennessee.
Wilcox was a defensive back at Oregon from 1995 to 1999 and got his start coaching as a graduate assistant at Boise State in 2001. In 2003, he took the job as a linebackers coach at Cal before moving back to Boise State as the defensive coordinator under Chris Petersen in 2006.
In 2010, Wilcox joined Tennessee's staff and this past season, the Volunteers' defense ranked 28th in the nation in total defense and 35th in scoring defense.
Following the 2010 season, Wilcox had been mentioned as a candidate to step into the defensive coordinator spot at Texas to replace Will Muschamp, who took the Florida head coaching job.
"I believe 100 percent in what Coach Dooley is doing here, the direction of the program, and we've still got a lot of work to do," Wilcox said at the time of his decision. "It's going the right way, and I think all of us are committed to doing it the right way. That's where we're headed."
- Todd Graham pleased ahead of ASU spring football game
- ASU's Mo Latu losing weight and gaining confidence
- ASU A.D. Anderson: New fee gives students more ownership of Sun Devil athletics
- ASU AD: Overtraining still a serious problem for student-athletes
- ASU and LSU agree to home-and-home series in 2022, 2023
- Gary Lane, ASU rugby coach - Friday April 11ASU rugby coach Gary Lane talks about his team's upcoming game against BYU.
- Chris Karpman, ASU Devils.com - Wednesday April 9ASU Devils.com Chris Karpman discusses the new student athletic fee.
- Ray Anderson, Arizona State athletic director - Wednesday April 9Arizona State athletic director Ray Anderson discusses the new student athletic fee.
- Ray Anderson, ASU Athletic Director - Wednesday April 2Ray Anderson discusses ASU spring sports.
- Ray Anderson, ASU Athletic Director - Thursday March 27Ray Anderson looks back on the Sun Devil men's basketball season.