Updated Dec 8, 2011 - 11:42 am
Gambo: Justin Wilcox is new frontrunner for ASU
Arizona Sports 620's John Gambadoro sent out the following tweet Thursday morning:
While its impossible to determine how many cooks are in the ASU kitchen -- I am being told that Tenn DC Wilcox is a frontrunner for the job
That's Justin Wilcox, the 36-year-old defensive coordinator under Derek Dooley at the University of Tennessee.
Wilcox was a defensive back at Oregon from 1995 to 1999 and got his start coaching as a graduate assistant at Boise State in 2001. In 2003, he took the job as a linebackers coach at Cal before moving back to Boise State as the defensive coordinator under Chris Petersen in 2006.
In 2010, Wilcox joined Tennessee's staff and this past season, the Volunteers' defense ranked 28th in the nation in total defense and 35th in scoring defense.
Following the 2010 season, Wilcox had been mentioned as a candidate to step into the defensive coordinator spot at Texas to replace Will Muschamp, who took the Florida head coaching job.
"I believe 100 percent in what Coach Dooley is doing here, the direction of the program, and we've still got a lot of work to do," Wilcox said at the time of his decision. "It's going the right way, and I think all of us are committed to doing it the right way. That's where we're headed."
- ASU AD Ray Anderson: 'The love and the passion for Pat Tillman is palpable'
- Pat Tillman's death remembered 10 years later
- ASU quarterback Taylor Kelly caps spring with successful scrimmage performance
- Todd Graham pleased ahead of ASU spring football game
- ASU's Mo Latu losing weight and gaining confidence
- Ray Anderson, ASU Athletic Director - Tuesday April 22Ray Anderson discusses Pat Tillman's legacy at ASU.
- Ray Anderson, Arizona State athletic director - Thursday April 17Ray Anderson talks about the new athletic fee and what it means for students. Also, what does it mea
- Gary Lane, ASU rugby coach - Friday April 11ASU rugby coach Gary Lane talks about his team's upcoming game against BYU.
- Chris Karpman, ASU Devils.com - Wednesday April 9ASU Devils.com Chris Karpman discusses the new student athletic fee.
- Ray Anderson, Arizona State athletic director - Wednesday April 9Arizona State athletic director Ray Anderson discusses the new student athletic fee.