Updated Dec 8, 2011 - 11:42 am
Gambo: Justin Wilcox is new frontrunner for ASU
Arizona Sports 620's John Gambadoro sent out the following tweet Thursday morning:
While its impossible to determine how many cooks are in the ASU kitchen -- I am being told that Tenn DC Wilcox is a frontrunner for the job
That's Justin Wilcox, the 36-year-old defensive coordinator under Derek Dooley at the University of Tennessee.
Wilcox was a defensive back at Oregon from 1995 to 1999 and got his start coaching as a graduate assistant at Boise State in 2001. In 2003, he took the job as a linebackers coach at Cal before moving back to Boise State as the defensive coordinator under Chris Petersen in 2006.
In 2010, Wilcox joined Tennessee's staff and this past season, the Volunteers' defense ranked 28th in the nation in total defense and 35th in scoring defense.
Following the 2010 season, Wilcox had been mentioned as a candidate to step into the defensive coordinator spot at Texas to replace Will Muschamp, who took the Florida head coaching job.
"I believe 100 percent in what Coach Dooley is doing here, the direction of the program, and we've still got a lot of work to do," Wilcox said at the time of his decision. "It's going the right way, and I think all of us are committed to doing it the right way. That's where we're headed."
- Sun Devils hold Pro Day in front of big NFL contingent
- ASU head coach Todd Graham not concerned about loss of talent on defense
- NFL Draft '14: Recapping Arizona's Pro Day and looking ahead to ASU's
- NFL analyst on ASU DT Will Sutton: 'He's going to be a player in the NFL'
- Maybe defenses do need a break from fast-paced O
- Bill Frieder, former Arizona State basketball head coach - Friday March 7Bill Frieder discusses the state of ASU basketball, and what should the NBA do about the draft age t
- Eric Musselman, ASU basketball associate head coac - Friday March 7Eric Musselman talks about his relationship with Gerald Green, his thoughts on Jahii Carson's seaso
- Todd Graham, ASU Football Head Coach - Friday March 7What's the state of ASU Football?
- Stewart Mandel, SI.com college football writer - Thursday March 6Stewart Mandel talks about why the proposed rule to limit hurry up offenses in college football was
- Ray Anderson, ASU Athletic Director - Wednesday March 5Ray Anderson talks all things ASU with Dan and Vince.