Updated Dec 8, 2011 - 11:42 am
Gambo: Justin Wilcox is new frontrunner for ASU
Arizona Sports 620's John Gambadoro sent out the following tweet Thursday morning:
While its impossible to determine how many cooks are in the ASU kitchen -- I am being told that Tenn DC Wilcox is a frontrunner for the job
That's Justin Wilcox, the 36-year-old defensive coordinator under Derek Dooley at the University of Tennessee.
Wilcox was a defensive back at Oregon from 1995 to 1999 and got his start coaching as a graduate assistant at Boise State in 2001. In 2003, he took the job as a linebackers coach at Cal before moving back to Boise State as the defensive coordinator under Chris Petersen in 2006.
In 2010, Wilcox joined Tennessee's staff and this past season, the Volunteers' defense ranked 28th in the nation in total defense and 35th in scoring defense.
Following the 2010 season, Wilcox had been mentioned as a candidate to step into the defensive coordinator spot at Texas to replace Will Muschamp, who took the Florida head coaching job.
"I believe 100 percent in what Coach Dooley is doing here, the direction of the program, and we've still got a lot of work to do," Wilcox said at the time of his decision. "It's going the right way, and I think all of us are committed to doing it the right way. That's where we're headed."
- Arizona State moves up multiple spots in the AP and Coaches' Poll
- Sun Devils preparing for Lobos' triple option
- Former ASU running back Marion Grice released by San Diego Chargers
- Pac Mentality Week 1: Is Cal headed back to relevancy?
- Carl Bradford, Marquis Flowers highlight list of local products who made NFL rosters
- Jeff Van Raaphorst, Sun Devil Football Color Analyst - Friday August 29Doug and Wolf talk to Sun Devil football color analyst Jeff Van Raaphorst.
- Doug Haller, AZCentral Sports - Thursday August 28Doug Haller predicts the Sun Devil offense won't play much after halftime of tonight's game.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday August 28Which Valley football team will win more games this season, the Cardinals or the Sun Devils?
- Larry Scott - Pac-12 commissioner - Wednesday August 27Pac-12 commissioner Larry Scott believes the Pac-12 will continue to rise and get stronger.
- Ray Anderson - ASU athletic director - Wednesday August 27ASU Athletic Director Ray Anderson prepares for his first ASU football season.