Gambo: Justin Wilcox is new frontrunner for ASU
Arizona Sports 620's John Gambadoro sent out the following tweet Thursday morning:
While its impossible to determine how many cooks are in the ASU kitchen -- I am being told that Tenn DC Wilcox is a frontrunner for the job
That's Justin Wilcox, the 36-year-old defensive coordinator under Derek Dooley at the University of Tennessee.
Wilcox was a defensive back at Oregon from 1995 to 1999 and got his start coaching as a graduate assistant at Boise State in 2001. In 2003, he took the job as a linebackers coach at Cal before moving back to Boise State as the defensive coordinator under Chris Petersen in 2006.
In 2010, Wilcox joined Tennessee's staff and this past season, the Volunteers' defense ranked 28th in the nation in total defense and 35th in scoring defense.
Following the 2010 season, Wilcox had been mentioned as a candidate to step into the defensive coordinator spot at Texas to replace Will Muschamp, who took the Florida head coaching job.
"I believe 100 percent in what Coach Dooley is doing here, the direction of the program, and we've still got a lot of work to do," Wilcox said at the time of his decision. "It's going the right way, and I think all of us are committed to doing it the right way. That's where we're headed."
- Steve Patterson, ASU athletic director - Tuesday May 21Patterson talks about potential Pac-12 Bowl changes and how the NBA Lottery really works
- Steve Patterson, ASU athletic director - Tuesday May 14Patterson talks to the guys about the Territorial Cup & scheduling with Notre Dame Football
- Steve Patterson, ASU athletic director - Tuesday May 7Patterson talks to Doug & Wolf about the state of Sun Devil Athletics
- Steve Patterson, ASU Athletic Director - Thursday May 2Doug and Wolf talk to Patterson about the latest news coming out of the Pac-12 meetings.
- Brandon Magee , Former ASU Linebacker - Wednesday May 1Doug & Wolf ask Brandon Magee about signing with the Cowboys after going undrafted.