Updated Oct 23, 2012 - 2:22 pm
Alden Darby first to wear PT42 practice jersey
On game days, ASU players take the field by running out of Tillman Tunnel. A PT42 patch, which signifies Tillman's initials and Sun Devil uniform number, adorns ASU's jerseys.
Head coach Todd Graham is making Tillman's legacy an even bigger part of his current program.
Junior safety Alden Darby became the first Sun Devil ever to wear the new #42 camouflaged Tillman practice jersey during Tuesday's session.
"We call it PT42, it's a person who embodies all the things that he did," Graham said. "To earn that jersey is really hard to do, and Alden Darby earned it, because every single day, he's brought it in the classroom, the community, on the field, off the field. I think he's having an All-Pac-12 season. He's just been phenomenal."
Darby ranks fourth on the Sun Devil roster with 41 total tackles, while adding 2.5 tackles for loss, one sack, two interceptions, one forced fumble and one fumble recovery.
"I felt really proud of myself," Darby said following practice Tuesday. "It just reminded me that hard work and effort really does pay off -- and people do recognize it, it doesn't go unrecognized for sure."
Arizona Sports' Craig Grialou contributed to this report
- Arizona State moves up multiple spots in the AP and Coaches' Poll
- Sun Devils preparing for Lobos' triple option
- Former ASU running back Marion Grice released by San Diego Chargers
- Pac Mentality Week 1: Is Cal headed back to relevancy?
- Carl Bradford, Marquis Flowers highlight list of local products who made NFL rosters
- Jeff Van Raaphorst, Sun Devil Football Color Analyst - Friday August 29Doug and Wolf talk to Sun Devil football color analyst Jeff Van Raaphorst.
- Doug Haller, AZCentral Sports - Thursday August 28Doug Haller predicts the Sun Devil offense won't play much after halftime of tonight's game.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday August 28Which Valley football team will win more games this season, the Cardinals or the Sun Devils?
- Larry Scott - Pac-12 commissioner - Wednesday August 27Pac-12 commissioner Larry Scott believes the Pac-12 will continue to rise and get stronger.
- Ray Anderson - ASU athletic director - Wednesday August 27ASU Athletic Director Ray Anderson prepares for his first ASU football season.