Updated Nov 8, 2012 - 2:01 pm
Graham, ASU looking for 'signature win' vs. USC
But Saturday's game at USC will thin the herd of contenders even more. A loss for either team would be their fourth conference defeat and would effectively eliminate them from the division race.
On Thursday, Graham acknowledged that a win over the 19th-ranked Trojans would be huge for a lot of reasons.
"Obviously, this is one of those wins we need right now for this program -- a signature win," Graham said. "We have a great plan, we've talked about the mental aspect of it and making sure we don't have mental mistakes because that's the thing that hurt us last week."
Last week's loss at Oregon State was a missed opportunity for the Sun Devils to collect a "signature win". Arizona State hung with the 11th-ranked Beavers in the first half, but was outplayed in the second half in a 36-26 loss.
The last time ASU beat a ranked opponent on the road was all the way back in 2002, when they toppled then-6th-ranked Oregon 45-42. Since then, in road games against ranked foes, the Sun Devils have gone 0-16. The average margin of defeat has been 17.4 points.
Graham is happy with the way the Sun Devils have played this season, but acknowledges it's time to take the next step.
"We've won some ball games, and I think, made great progress and done some great things," he said. "For these guys to go and win this game when everybody else has pretty much counted us out and given up on us as far as having a chance to win the South, if you can and win that thing, it's immeasurable what it does for you."
Southern California has long been a staple in ASU's recruiting efforts, so a win over the Trojans in their backyard could do wonders for the future of the Sun Devil program.
"These are the kind of wins we have to have, that's why we're here," Graham said. "I think it's very critical."
- Arizona State moves up multiple spots in the AP and Coaches' Poll
- Sun Devils preparing for Lobos' triple option
- Former ASU running back Marion Grice released by San Diego Chargers
- Pac Mentality Week 1: Is Cal headed back to relevancy?
- Carl Bradford, Marquis Flowers highlight list of local products who made NFL rosters
- Jeff Van Raaphorst, Sun Devil Football Color Analyst - Friday August 29Doug and Wolf talk to Sun Devil football color analyst Jeff Van Raaphorst.
- Doug Haller, AZCentral Sports - Thursday August 28Doug Haller predicts the Sun Devil offense won't play much after halftime of tonight's game.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday August 28Which Valley football team will win more games this season, the Cardinals or the Sun Devils?
- Larry Scott - Pac-12 commissioner - Wednesday August 27Pac-12 commissioner Larry Scott believes the Pac-12 will continue to rise and get stronger.
- Ray Anderson - ASU athletic director - Wednesday August 27ASU Athletic Director Ray Anderson prepares for his first ASU football season.