Updated Nov 8, 2012 - 2:01 pm
Graham, ASU looking for 'signature win' vs. USC
But Saturday's game at USC will thin the herd of contenders even more. A loss for either team would be their fourth conference defeat and would effectively eliminate them from the division race.
On Thursday, Graham acknowledged that a win over the 19th-ranked Trojans would be huge for a lot of reasons.
"Obviously, this is one of those wins we need right now for this program -- a signature win," Graham said. "We have a great plan, we've talked about the mental aspect of it and making sure we don't have mental mistakes because that's the thing that hurt us last week."
Last week's loss at Oregon State was a missed opportunity for the Sun Devils to collect a "signature win". Arizona State hung with the 11th-ranked Beavers in the first half, but was outplayed in the second half in a 36-26 loss.
The last time ASU beat a ranked opponent on the road was all the way back in 2002, when they toppled then-6th-ranked Oregon 45-42. Since then, in road games against ranked foes, the Sun Devils have gone 0-16. The average margin of defeat has been 17.4 points.
Graham is happy with the way the Sun Devils have played this season, but acknowledges it's time to take the next step.
"We've won some ball games, and I think, made great progress and done some great things," he said. "For these guys to go and win this game when everybody else has pretty much counted us out and given up on us as far as having a chance to win the South, if you can and win that thing, it's immeasurable what it does for you."
Southern California has long been a staple in ASU's recruiting efforts, so a win over the Trojans in their backyard could do wonders for the future of the Sun Devil program.
"These are the kind of wins we have to have, that's why we're here," Graham said. "I think it's very critical."
- ASU's Todd Graham a finalist for Liberty Mutual Coach of the Year Award
- Doug Franz College Football Playoff - Final
- Bowls feature impressive gift packages for participating teams
- Arizona State accepts invitation to play in 2013 Holiday Bowl against Texas Tech
- Some things are more disappointing than Arizona State's loss to Stanford
- Ed Cunningham, ESPN College Football Analyst - Monday December 9ASU's heartbreaking loss, the other Championship Saturday games and Selection Sunday.
- Glenn Parker, Pac-12 Network football analyst - Friday December 6Glenn Parker previews the Pac-12 Championship game.
- Joe Schad, ESPN college football reporter - Friday December 6A national perspective on the ASU-Stanford Pac 12 Championship Game
- J.R. Redmond, former ASU running back - Friday December 6Redmond discussed the similarities between the 96 ASU team and this year's edition.
- Bickley Blast - Friday December 6Setting the stage for the ASU-Stanford Pac 12 Championship Game.