Updated Nov 12, 2012 - 4:32 pm
AD Patterson encouraged by Graham's first season
With a 5-5 record and just two games remaining, Arizona State appears to be staring mediocrity in the face once again.
Under first year head coach Todd Graham, the Devils started the season with plenty of promise but faltered once their schedule got tough.
Despite being on a four-game losing streak, ASU Athletic Director Steve Patterson is optimistic that the football program is going in the right direction.
"I'm encouraged overall. I think Todd [Graham] made great progress laying the foundations for a successful program," Patterson said. "If we get two more wins, we are going to be in good shape and get into a decent bowl game."
Patterson pointed out that a bowl game is key when it comes to developing a young talent and hopes his team will have the opportunity to do so this year.
"It gives you more days to practice than teams that are not in bowls. That is important for particularly the younger players who are just starting with it," Patterson said. "It helps Todd instill the rest of his system before he goes into next year."
With only eight senior starters, extra practices will give Graham a valuable chance to continue to develop his young team for next season.
"Overall, I feel good about where he has gone and where the development of the team is right now," Patterson said.
- Stagnant or statement
- What to watch for: Arizona State Sun Devils vs. Weber State Wildcats
- ASU head coach Todd Graham in favor of eliminating games against FCS opponents
- Former ASU quarterback Andrew Walter loses congressional primary bid
- Arizona State has plenty of options at the Devilbacker position
- Larry Scott - Pac-12 commisioner - Wednesday August 27Pac-12 commissioner Larry Scott believes the Pac-12 will continue to rise and get stronger.
- Ray Anderson - ASU athletic director - Wednesday August 27ASU Athletic Director Ray Anderson prepares for his first ASU football season.
- Bill Hancock - College Football Playoff executive director - Wednesday August 27How will the playoff system impact college football?
- Lionel Hollins, head coach Brooklyn Nets - Wednesday August 27The head coach of the Brooklyn Nets joins Doug & Wolf for the ASU Sun Devil Fork Report.
- Todd Graham, head coach ASU football - Wednesday August 27Arizona State football coach Todd Graham discusses his team's upcoming matchup against Weber State.