Analyst: Graham's confidence in discipline evident in recruiting class
National Signing Day is just around the corner and the Arizona State Sun Devils will see how they fared on Wednesday.
Pac-12 Network analyst Rick Neuheisel told Arizona Sports 620's Doug & Wolf Tuesday he was surprised to see head coach Todd Graham's approach to assembling his recruiting class this year.
"What's interesting to me is I look at Arizona State's list and how many junior college players Todd Graham is bringing in," Neuheisel said. "Nine guys are listed in his class. That's an enormous number of junior college players. Now certainly they can be helpful filling holes in your roster and so forth. I see two defensive ends, I see two offensive linebackers. Understandably those are issues for him."
Neuheisel said betting on so many junior college players, who could be undisciplined, is quite risky but Graham's willingness to bring these players into the fold without concern is a testament to the culture he's implemented at ASU.
"Todd Graham has a great deal of faith in his system of discipline," Neuheisel said. "Obviously it was very evident to those who are watching that there was a change at Arizona State with respect to kids adhering to the rules, doing the right things and [Graham] feels like that system is very much in place so he's not uncomfortable at all in bringing in nine junior college players."
This year's expected group of JUCO signees ranks fourth-highest in the nation. The Sun Devils have a high number of impact players returning on both the offense and defense, which affords Graham the luxury of being patient while these guys develop.
ASU has had recent success recruiting junior college players, most notably Marion Grice, Steffon Martin and Chris Young from a year ago.
Daria Del Colliano, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Sun Devils preparing for Lobos' triple option
- Former ASU running back Marion Grice released by San Diego Chargers
- Pac Mentality Week 1: Is Cal headed back to relevancy?
- Carl Bradford, Marquis Flowers highlight list of local products who made NFL rosters
- Fork Report: ASU rides 'Big Three' to season-opening blowout of Weber State
- Jeff Van Raaphorst, Sun Devil Football Color Analyst - Friday August 29Doug and Wolf talk to Sun Devil football color analyst Jeff Van Raaphorst.
- Doug Haller, AZCentral Sports - Thursday August 28Doug Haller predicts the Sun Devil offense won't play much after halftime of tonight's game.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday August 28Which Valley football team will win more games this season, the Cardinals or the Sun Devils?
- Larry Scott - Pac-12 commissioner - Wednesday August 27Pac-12 commissioner Larry Scott believes the Pac-12 will continue to rise and get stronger.
- Ray Anderson - ASU athletic director - Wednesday August 27ASU Athletic Director Ray Anderson prepares for his first ASU football season.