Arizona State's Graham praises performance of Strong, linebackers
Jaelen Strong stepped up against Sacramento State, catching six passes for 58 yards and a score while also proving he has the size and hands to become a reliable third-down and red-zone target for quarterback Taylor Kelly. Strong, a junior college transfer, also impressed Graham.
"I thought he had a really solid first game," Graham said in his weekly press conference, adding that he's a fan of Strong's attitude. "Somewhere around the middle of the fourth quarter, he stopped me on the sideline and said ‘Coach, I just want to thank you for bringing me here and giving me this opportunity.' I have got a lot of respect for the character and the work ethic he has."
Graham went on to say that Strong will continue to grow and get better as he gets used to the pace of the offense.
On the other side of the ball, Graham seemed really happy with the performance of redshirt freshman LB Salamo Fiso.
"I really think Salamo is probably the guy that catches my eye more than anybody else at linebacker," Graham said. "As soon as he matures and learns what he is doing and masters what he is doing, he is a very good player."
Graham also praised senior LBs Chris Young, who was expected to fill Magee's role before the year, and Grandville Taylor, who Graham said continually impresses with his performance.
"He is a very physical person," Graham said of Taylor. "He is very smart, he doesn't make mistakes. He is a guy who really cares about doing things the right."
The linebacking corps will be tested against the Wisconsin running game, which is averaging 390 yards per game.
The teams face off on September 14 at Sun Devil Stadium.
- ASU quarterback Taylor Kelly caps spring with successful scrimmage performance
- Todd Graham pleased ahead of ASU spring football game
- ASU's Mo Latu losing weight and gaining confidence
- ASU A.D. Anderson: New fee gives students more ownership of Sun Devil athletics
- ASU AD: Overtraining still a serious problem for student-athletes
- Ray Anderson, Arizona State athletic director - Thursday April 17Ray Anderson talks about the new athletic fee and what it means for students. Also, what does it mea
- Gary Lane, ASU rugby coach - Friday April 11ASU rugby coach Gary Lane talks about his team's upcoming game against BYU.
- Chris Karpman, ASU Devils.com - Wednesday April 9ASU Devils.com Chris Karpman discusses the new student athletic fee.
- Ray Anderson, Arizona State athletic director - Wednesday April 9Arizona State athletic director Ray Anderson discusses the new student athletic fee.
- Ray Anderson, ASU Athletic Director - Wednesday April 2Ray Anderson discusses ASU spring sports.