Updated Mar 7, 2014 - 10:14 am
ASU head coach Todd Graham not concerned about loss of talent on defense
He needs to rebuild his defense.
The Devils lose nine defensive starters from last season's 2013 Pac-12 South championship squad, including two-time Pat Tillman Pac-12 Defensive Player of the Year Will Sutton.
But if Graham is worried about this task, he's hiding it very well.
"Two years ago, when I came here, there was eight defensive starters that graduated and I don't even think Will was even honorable mention All-Conference. Carl (Bradford) had never played in a game on defense," Graham told Doug and Wolf on Arizona Sports 98.7 FM Friday. "There were a lot of question marks and obviously not a great tradition of playing defense in the recent years.
"But I think winning breeds winning. A couple years ago, I remember watching Stanford play San Jose State and they almost got beat. And Andrew Luck was gone and the sky was falling and all that. And they just have won back-to-back conference championships and Andrew Luck never won one."
Graham believes the winning the Sun Devils have done the last two seasons, going 18-8 overall, will pay dividends in 2014 and beyond because it serves as the groundwork of building a sustainable program.
"This program is going to produce, you're going to be impressed with guys who step up, is what I believe," he said. "Obviously I'm excited -- I think we've improved our staff. I think that'll help me get us better on defense.
"In conference play last year, we had the number-one scoring offense in the conference and the number-one total defense, so we've left a great legacy on how to play."
As far as Graham sees it, no matter who is suited up in the maroon and gold (and black) on the defensive side of the ball, the program has one very clear goal in mind.
"Our program next year, and you can say whatever you want on the radio to whoever you want to say it to, the bottom line is we have to win a conference championship or we've had a disappointing year," he said. "I'm proud that we've established that expectation and that standard there."
Vince Marotta, Co-host - Bickley & Marotta, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Sun Devils preparing for Lobos' triple option
- Former ASU running back Marion Grice released by San Diego Chargers
- Pac Mentality Week 1: Is Cal headed back to relevancy?
- Carl Bradford, Marquis Flowers highlight list of local products who made NFL rosters
- Fork Report: ASU rides 'Big Three' to season-opening blowout of Weber State
- Jeff Van Raaphorst, Sun Devil Football Color Analyst - Friday August 29Doug and Wolf talk to Sun Devil football color analyst Jeff Van Raaphorst.
- Doug Haller, AZCentral Sports - Thursday August 28Doug Haller predicts the Sun Devil offense won't play much after halftime of tonight's game.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday August 28Which Valley football team will win more games this season, the Cardinals or the Sun Devils?
- Larry Scott - Pac-12 commissioner - Wednesday August 27Pac-12 commissioner Larry Scott believes the Pac-12 will continue to rise and get stronger.
- Ray Anderson - ASU athletic director - Wednesday August 27ASU Athletic Director Ray Anderson prepares for his first ASU football season.