TEMPE -- It wasn't easy, but the Arizona State Sun Devils pushed their record to 7-1 with a 71-63 win over the Hartford Hawks Wednesday night. And it was a duo of freshmen who led them there.
Jahii Carson scored 20 points and dished out six assists, while true freshman Eric Jacobsen pumped in a career-high 16 points and grabbed six rebounds in the ASU triumph.
The Good - ASU's offense was sharp throughout the ball game. For the game, the Devils shot 56.3% from the field, had 32 points in the paint and committed a season-low 10 turnovers.
Carrick Felix continued his stellar play with his second straight double-double. The senior from Goodyear had 11 points and 11 rebounds -- with seven boards in the final 6:38 of the game.
ASU's defense was pretty solid too, especially in the second half. After Hartford shot 50% in the first half, ASU limited the Hawks to just 29% shooting (9-of-31) after halftime.
The Bad - ASU's free throw shooting was horrendous. The Sun Devils went 11-for-23 from the line in the game, and could have made things a lot easier for themselves had they just converted from the line. Carson and fellow guard Chris Colvin combined to hit just 2-of-9 attempts.
When it was over - With 6:25 to go, ASU junior guard Evan Gordon hit a three-pointer from the left wing to stretch the Sun Devil lead to six at 60-54. Gordon's bucket ignited an 8-0 room that gave ASU some breathing room down the stretch.
He Said It - "I can't talk enough about Carrick. I can't remember coaching a guy, and I know there has been guys who give great effort, but it's hard to think of anybody right now who every possession, offensively and defensively, who has given the kind of effort and energy that Carrick is. I mean, he is laying his heart out. He's fun to watch, he's easy to cheer for. He is giving incredible effort." -- ASU head coach Herb Sendek on senior forward Carrick Felix.
What's next - The Sun Devils continue their home-heavy non-conference schedule Saturday afternoon as the Cal State-Northridge Matadors visit Wells Fargo Arena. Tip-off is scheduled for 12:00 noon.
- Arizona State finalizes 2014-15 basketball schedule
- Former Sun Devil Jahii Carson scores 23 points in first preseason game in Australia
- ASU A.D.: Extending Herb Sendek's contract the right decision
- AP source: ASU extends both basketball coaches
- Report: ASU men's basketball coach Herb Sendek gets contract extension
- Ray Anderson, ASU athletic director - Wednesday October 1ASU Athletic Director Ray Anderson discusses the Sun Devils overcoming adversity after their loss to
- Jake Plummer - Former Cardinals and Sun Devil quarterback - Wednesday October 1Former Arizona State and Cardinal quarterback Jake Plummer discusses the latest in college football
- Mark May, ESPN college football analyst - Tuesday September 30ESPN college football analyst Mark May says the wheels could come off for ASU in a hurry.
- Rocky Harris - ASU Senior Associate Athletic Director - Wednesday September 24Arizona State Senior Associate Athletic Direct Rocky Harris expects a sellout when the Sun Devils fa
- Chris Foster - Los Angeles Times - Wednesday September 24Los Angeles Times reporter Chris Foster gives the UCLA perspective on Thursday night's game.