Cat Tracks: Wildcats suffer first home loss of season to UCLA
Sure, you could read the box score and know who won, but we all know that won't tell you everything that happened in a basketball game. So, we give you 'Cat Tracks', providing you with the analysis, quotes and notes from Arizona's January 24 loss to UCLA. UCLA 84, Arizona 73.
UA's backcourt proved to be the team's lone bright spot in defeat.
Nick Johnson scored a team-high 23 points (9-of-19 from the field) for Arizona, while Mark Lyons added 16.
Arizona went on a 10-0 run midway through the second half and cut the deficit to four points, but they couldn't pull off another late-game comeback.
The Wildcats got off to a sluggish start, missing 12 of their first 13 shots of the game. UCLA jumped out to a 16-point lead early in the first quarter.
Despite playing against a Bruins team that was short-handed, the 'Cats couldn't recover from their early shooting woes. Arizona shot a paltry 38.4 percent from the field and got outrebounded by UCLA 45-44.
In 33 minutes of play, Mark Lyons failed to even record a single assist. It's the second time this season that Lyons has gone assist-less in a game.
• The Wildcats suffered their first loss of the season at McKale Center. They haven't lost at home since they got beat by Bucknell in the first round of last year's NIT tournament.
• Arizona dropped to 16-2 overall and 4-2 in Pac-12 play this year.
• The 'Cats came into Thursday night's contest shooting 38.2 from three-point range but went cold against the Bruins, making just five of their 24 attempts from downtown.
Coming Up Next:
The Wildcats will host the USC Trojans on Saturday, January 26 at 5:00 p.m. MST.
Daria Del Colliano, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - 3/29 - Friday March 29The season has come to an end in the most excruciating of ways. Adam and Jarrett break down the loss
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - 3/26 - Tuesday March 26The Wildcats are in the Sweet 16 for the second time in four years. Should we be impressed? Are we w
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - 3/19 - Tuesday March 19Tournaments for everyone! Adam and Jarrett talk about the Pac-12 Tournament result and then Arizona'
- Mike DeCourcy, Sporting News CBB Insider - Monday March 18Doug and Wolf ask DeCourcy what he thinks about this year's NCAA Tournament bracket.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - 3/12 - Tuesday March 12A nice win over Arizona State is followed by the Pac-12 Tournament. How do the Wildcats look? Adam a