Updated Apr 16, 2013 - 12:10 pm
Arizona Wildcats basketball: Jerrett considers NBA jump
Reports have surfaced that forward Grant Jerrett might declare for the NBA Draft. The NCAA's withdrawal deadline is April 28, so if Jerrett is leaving or staying at the UA, the news will become official then.
CBS Sports writer Jeff Goodman tweeted that Jerrett will be returning to the UA: "Arizona freshman Grant Jerrett's high school coach Eric Cooper to CBSSports. ‘Grant has no intention of going in the draft at this time.'"
DraftExpress has Jerrett, who is listed as 6-foot-10 and 235 pounds, ranked as the 35th-best freshman from the 2012 season.
The news comes as a bit of a surprise, but with Aaron Gordon — a top-5 power forward recruit — coming in, plus the return of last year's talented freshmen class, Jerrett would probably come off the bench for the Wildcats, likely in a sixth-man role.
Jerrett came to the UA as part of the third-best recruiting class in the nation last year, alongside forward Brandon Ashley, center Kaleb Tarczewski and guard Gabe York, all of whom are expected to return to the Wildcats next season. Plus, 6-foot-10 junior college transfer Matt Korcheck will be joining the Wildcats next.
In 34 games last year (including two early-season starts), Jerrett averaged 5.2 points, 3.6 rebounds and a team-high 1.0 blocks per game while hitting 40.5 percent of his three-pointers. Jerrett scored 10 or more points five times and had one game with double-digit rebounds (10 against UCLA on Jan. 24). His best game of the season probably came against the Bruins on March 2, when he tallied 14 points, five rebounds and hit four 3-pointers.
In January of last year, Jonathan Givony of DraftExpress wrote this about Jerrett's NBA prospects: "We're a ways away still from being able to get a great read on Jerrett's NBA prospects at the moment. We'll have to see how well he's able to coexist with fellow top-10 Arizona recruit Kaleb Tarczewski next year, particularly how many minutes they are able to play together."
This story was courtesy of the Arizona Daily Wildcat.
- Johnson's big night leads Arizona to road win over Oregon State: By the Numbers
- Former Arizona Wildcats coach Russ Pennell hired by Central Arkansas
- Arizona powers past Stanford, clinches Pac-12 outright: By the numbers
- With win over Stanford, Arizona clinches Pac-12 title outright
- WAC suspends 2 players for postgame brawl in Orem
- Stewart Mandel, SI.com college football writer - Thursday March 6Stewart Mandel talks about why the proposed rule to limit hurry up offenses in college football was
- Rich Rodriguez, UA Head Football Coach - Wednesday March 5The latest rule change to college football would fundamentally change the game.
- Doug Gottlieb, CBS Sports college basketball analyst - Thursday February 27Doug Gottlieb thinks Jahii Carson and Aaron Gordon should both stay in school for one more season.
- Bearing Down with Adam and Jarrett - Wednesday February 26Adam and Jarrett talk about the Utah/Colorado sweep and the week ahead.
- What's on your mind? - Thursday February 20Vince tells us what is going through his head this week in and out of the sports world.