Braun leads GCU with nine 3s in thrashing of Chicago State
PHOENIX (AP) — Joshua Braun tied a school record with nine 3-pointers and scored 29 points in Grand Canyon’s 82-59 win over Chicago State on Thursday for the Lopes’ fifth straight win.
Grand Canyon (20-9, 9-3 Western Athletic) moved into a tie for second with New Mexico State, which got beat by Utah Valley, ending the Aggies’ 14-game home streak.
Braun was 10-for-21 shooting with 19 of his attempts coming from behind the arc. DeWayne Russell scored 16 points and Darion Clark chipped in 11 for Grand Canyon.
The Lopes built a 44-22 halftime lead with Braun scoring 20. Grand Canyon was never threatened after the break.
Grand Canyon had a 44-31 rebounding edge and outscored the Cougars 30-19 on the interior and collected 16 offensive rebounds.
Fred Sims Jr. led Chicago State (6-23, 1-11) with 21 points and Trayvon Palmer had 15.
- Suns dip into in-state pool again by selecting Arizona’s Deandre Ayton
- ASU, Arizona, GCU and high schools represent state in 2018 MLB Draft
- Arizona Cardinals, ASU honor Pat Tillman’s legacy on Memorial Day
- GCU’s wait for NCAA Tournament bid continues after conference loss
- Grand Canyon will face Nevada in inaugural Jerry Colangelo classic