Phoenix Mercury clinch franchise record fifth straight playoff berth
The Phoenix Mercury have a game Sunday evening but already got a big win in the afternoon.
The Mercury clinched a playoff berth for the franchise-record fifth consecutive season thanks to a loss by the Chicago Sky.
This will be the Mercury’s ninth playoff appearance in the last 11 years.
Head coach Sandy Brondello is the first coach in franchise history to lead the team to four straight postseason appearances.
Entering their game against the Seattle Storm Sunday, the Mercury hold the sixth seed in the WNBA standings with a 15-16 record. They are just a half-game ahead of the Dallas Wings.
If Phoenix maintains the sixth seed or improves to the fifth spot in the standings, they will host a Round 1 single-elimination game at Wells Fargo Arena at Arizona State University on Wednesday, Sept. 6, due to a scheduling conflict at Talking Stick Resort Arena.
Whether at home or on the road for their first playoff game, if the Mercury win, they will travel for Round 2 of the playoffs to be held on Sunday, Sept. 10.
- Sun Devil offense facing obstacles in Vegas Bowl
- Sun Devil Hockey reveals alternate black sweaters, gold sticks
- Likens: Manny Wilkins isn’t about to walk away from Las Vegas with a loss
- No. 6 Nevada responds in second half, rallies past No. 20 Arizona State
- ASU LB Merlin Robertson named Pac-12 Defensive Freshman of the Year