Grand Canyon holds off North Carolina Central
PHOENIX — Joshua Braun had 20 points and seven rebounds to help Grand Canyon beat North Carolina Central 64-59 on Monday night.
Pablo Rivas pulled NCCU within 60-59 with 44 seconds remaining and Casey Benson had his shot blocked at the other end. But Raasean Davis missed the front end of a 1-and-1 and Benson made two free throws to give GCU a three-point lead. NCCU’s Reginald Gardner Jr. missed a 3-pointer and Benson sealed it with two more foul shots.
Keonta Vernon and Roberts Blumbergs each added nine points for Grand Canyon (7-2), which led for the final 32-plus minutes. Benson had six points, seven rebounds and seven assists.
The Antelopes will play their first road game of the season on Wednesday night at Boise State (9-1).
Davis led NCCU (4-8) with 16 points and nine rebounds. Rivas added 13 points and eight rebounds, and Gardner scored 11.
- Milstead rallies Grand Canyon to victory with late run
- Alessandro Lever, Grand Canyon cruises past Mississippi Valley State
- Grand Canyon can’t hold on late in close loss to No. 6 Nevada
- Grand Canyon falls to Utah in Wooden Legacy, will play for seventh place
- Grand Canyon uses depth to beat Jacksonville