Grand Canyon holds off North Carolina Central
PHOENIX — Joshua Braun had 20 points and seven rebounds to help Grand Canyon beat North Carolina Central 64-59 on Monday night.
Pablo Rivas pulled NCCU within 60-59 with 44 seconds remaining and Casey Benson had his shot blocked at the other end. But Raasean Davis missed the front end of a 1-and-1 and Benson made two free throws to give GCU a three-point lead. NCCU’s Reginald Gardner Jr. missed a 3-pointer and Benson sealed it with two more foul shots.
Keonta Vernon and Roberts Blumbergs each added nine points for Grand Canyon (7-2), which led for the final 32-plus minutes. Benson had six points, seven rebounds and seven assists.
The Antelopes will play their first road game of the season on Wednesday night at Boise State (9-1).
Davis led NCCU (4-8) with 16 points and nine rebounds. Rivas added 13 points and eight rebounds, and Gardner scored 11.
- Suns dip into in-state pool again by selecting Arizona’s Deandre Ayton
- ASU, Arizona, GCU and high schools represent state in 2018 MLB Draft
- Arizona Cardinals, ASU honor Pat Tillman’s legacy on Memorial Day
- Grand Canyon will face Nevada in inaugural Jerry Colangelo classic
- Grand Canyon accepts invitation to the 16-team CBI Tournament