Cardinals’ Bettcher expected to interview for head opening Wednesday
The Arizona Cardinals are expected to interview defensive coordinator James Bettcher for the open head coaching position Wednesday morning, according to 98.7 FM Arizona’s Sports Station’s Mike Jurecki.
Bettcher’s planned staff includes coaches with decades of NFL experience that are not currently with the Cardinals, per Jurecki.
The opening came after Bruce Arians announced his retirement at the conclusion of his fifth season with the team Monday.
The 39-year-old Bettcher started in the NFL with the Colts in 2012 as the outside linebackers coach. He came with Arians to Arizona in 2013, serving as outside linebackers coach for two years before being promoted to defensive coordinator in 2015.
Arizona has been in the top-seven for yards allowed in all three of Bettcher’s years running the defense.
Bettcher is one of several reported coaches the Cardinals are interested in. Among them include Minnesota Vikings offensive coordinator Pat Shurmur, Philadelphia Eagles defensive coordinator Jim Schwartz and New England Patriots defensive coordinator Matt Patricia.
- Arizona Cardinals new head coach Steve Wilks’ resume: By the numbers
- Cardinals coach Steve Wilks reportedly targeting Mike McCoy as OC
- NFL head coaching job tracker: Cardinals hire Steve Wilks
- Cardinals’ David Johnson recruited Palmer, Fitzgerald to play in 2018
- Patrick Peterson appears to love the Cardinals’ expected hire of Steve Wilks