Grand Canyon unable to keep up with CSU Bakersfield, loses third straight
BAKERSFIELD, Calif. — Damiyne Durham scored 17 points, Justin Davis had his first career double-double and Cal State Bakersfield never trailed in a 71-58 win over Grand Canyon on Saturday night.
Davis, a 6-foot-4 freshman, scored a career-high 15 points and hauled in 12 rebounds, also a career best, as Bakersfield (11-15, 4-7 Western Athletic Conference) snapped a two-game skid by dominating inside, outscoring Grand Canyon 32-16 in the paint.
Rickey Holden added 11 points and Jarkel Joiner and Moataz Aly each scored nine for Bakersfield, which took a 34-21 advantage into the break and led by at least nine points throughout the final 20 minutes.
Grand Canyon, which has lost three straight but remains in fourth place in the WAC standings, had trailed by as many as 20 points in the first half but dug in and held Bakersfield scoreless over the final three minutes to tighten the halftime gap.
Oscar Frayer led Grand Canyon (17-10, 6-5) with 11 points and Matt Jackson had 10.
- Grand Canyon can’t hold on late in close loss to No. 6 Nevada
- Grand Canyon falls to Utah in Wooden Legacy, will play for seventh place
- Grand Canyon uses depth to beat Jacksonville
- College basketball kicks off with three exhibition games in Valley
- Suns dip into in-state pool again by selecting Arizona’s Deandre Ayton