NFL player takes teen to prom for special-needs students
MOULTON, Ala. (AP) — A special-needs student had a one-of-a-kind prom date when an NFL player returned to his home county in Alabama to take her to the dance.
Don Jones is a 27-year-old defensive back for the San Francisco 49ers who is from Lawrence County. He told WBRC-TV it was a “blessing” to go to the prom Friday night with 18-year-old Lindsey Preston, who has Down syndrome.
Jones is a family friend. His mother taught Preston in elementary school.
Preston’s mom, Kristi Martin, tells The Associated Press that Jones danced with all the students and “made everybody feel special.”
Jones played at Arkansas State before going pro. He has played for the Miami Dolphins, New England Patriots, New Orleans Saints, Cleveland Browns and Houston Texans.
- NFL head coaching job tracker: Cards hire Kingsbury as next head coach
- Trivia Tuesday: NFL’s 500-yard passers since 1980
- Week 17 NFL injury report: Arizona Cardinals at Seattle Seahawks
- Doug & Wolf Week 16 NFL power poll: Saints, Chargers up top
- Arizona Sports NFL Power Rankings Week 16: Saints elevate