This Paul Goldschmidt fellow — he’s pretty good huh?
The Arizona Diamondbacks first baseman topped another league-wide list Tuesday as Keith Law put Paul Goldschmidt at the top of his list for position players who can hit.
Law looked at the four key hitting and speed tools that scouts use to evaluate players, and ranked position players on each one. Of Goldschmidt, Law says:
The five guys ranked here can hit. Goldschmidt is the exemplar, a guy who hits all kinds of pitching, makes hard contact, controls all parts of the zone, and works the count. He’s physical and cerebral, and I think he’s as hard to pitch to as anyone in the game.
The other four guys ranked by Law were Mike Trout of the Los Angeles Angels, Bryce Harper of the Washington Nationals, Jose Altuve of the Houston Astros and Buster Posey of the San Francisco Giants.
In case you didn’t know, Goldy was an All-Star starter this year, has the highest batting average in the league at .334 entering play Tuesday. He also leads the NL in plate appearances and RBI and is second in slugging percentage and on-base percentage.
- D-backs’ Souza exits Cactus League game with apparent right arm injury
- Diamondbacks’ Zack Greinke: My groin is pretty good
- D-backs give inside look at new museum, cabanas at Chase Field
- D-backs introduce Portillo’s, Gonzo’s Grill, Dutch Bros at Chase Field
- D-backs’ Ray has command issues in short outing against Angels