PHOENIX (AP) — Brittney Griner scored 21 points and Penny Taylor had eight in her final regular-season home game to help the Phoenix Mercury beat the Seattle Storm 86-62.
Taylor announced her retirement at the end of July. The Australian international was a three-time All-Star during 13 WNBA seasons, beginning her WNBA career with the Cleveland Rockers in 2001 and joining Phoenix in 2004.
The Mercury (15-18) clinched a playoff spot before tipoff with Washington’s 94-91 loss to Atlanta.
The Storm (15-18) fell into a tie with Mercury but retained their hold on the No. 7 seed due to winning the season series. Both teams conclude the season Sunday when Phoenix visits San Antonio, and Seattle hosts Chicago.
Phoenix led by as many as 17 in the first quarter and maintained a double-digit lead the rest of the way. Seattle trailed by 24 at the break and got no closer than 65-50 late in the third quarter.
- Brittney Griner re-signs with Phoenix Mercury live on Suns pregame show
- Mercury acquire Little, Alleyne and ship out Dupree as part of 3-way deal
- Mercury trade for All-Star Danielle Robinson
- Liberty acquire Vaughn and Hartley as part of 3-team trade
- One man’s look back at the ups and downs in Arizona sports in 2016