The Arizona Cardinals have announced in a press release that offensive lineman Evan Mathis has been placed on injured reserve due to an ankle injury.
Coming off a Super Bowl season with the Denver Broncos, Mathis was hopeful that he could capture another ring in the desert. However, with the Cardinals having three players on IR, running back Chris Johnson, defensive back Tyvon Branch and now Mathis, he may not have the opportunity to see the field this season.
The Cardinals have signed offensive lineman Ulrick John from the Miami Dolphins practice squad.
John was a seventh-round draft pick in 2014 out of Georgia State, and has only played two games in the NFL.
Offensive linemen Mathis and Mike Iupati suffered injuries during the Cardinals’ win at San Francisco, and the team had Earl Watford and John Wetzel fill in during the game.
Addressing on how Wetzel performed, head coach Bruce Arians was pleased with the 25-year-old, who is listed as a tackle.
“He played outstanding in about 33 plays,” Arians said. “He’s going to get a game ball for his effort. That third-and-one was a great pancake block. He has’t taken a snap at guard since training camp, so it was the next man up at its finest.”
The Cardinals have not clarified the extent of Iupati’s injury yet.
- Justin Pugh: Cardinals lineman and member of the Big Man Dance Crew
- ESPN: Rookie Mason Cole a draft steal for the Arizona Cardinals
- The road to the Super Bowl is perfectly imperfect
- Torrey Smith beats his son in Madden by 98 points as a teaching moment
- Arizona Sports NFL Mock Draft Tracker: Who’s next for the Cards at No. 1?