Phoenix Mercury’s comeback falls short against Dallas Wings
PHOENIX (AP) — Arike Ogunbowale scored 22 points, Marina Mabrey added 14 and the Dallas Wings beat the Phoenix Mercury 85-81 on Tuesday night.
Mabrey scored on a driving layup with 11.1 seconds left and Ogunbowale added a pair of free throws with 6.9 seconds, each time extending the Wings (4-5) to a four-point lead.
Satou Sabally added 11 points and capped an 11-2 Dallas run with a 3-pointer that made it 81-70 with 1:41 left.
But the Mercury (5-4) scored nine straight over the next 1:11 with Skylar Diggins-Smith scoring five and Brittney Griner adding four during the run.
Griner tied her season highs with 27 points and 16 rebounds, Diggins-Smith scored 22 for her fourth straight 20-point game, and Megan Walker added 10 points.
The Dallas reserves outscored Phoenix’s bench 41-10.
Dallas will stay in Phoenix for a rematch with the Mercury on Friday night.
- US Olympic team to face WNBA players in Vegas All-Star Game
- Betnijah Laney scores 23 points, Liberty beat Mercury 85-83
- Mercury honor former president Rick Welts during Pride Night
- Brittney Griner puts up 19 points in Mercury loss to Dallas Wings
- Skylar Diggins-Smith scores 28 as Mercury get 2nd straight win over Sky