While Arizona State’s uniform and logo redesign has been an overall hit, fans still seem to miss the little devil that represented the school’s athletic program for many years.
It appears Sparky will make a cameo this week for Thursday’s game between the Sun Devils and the University of Oregon Ducks.
The Sun Devil Football Twitter account posted a picture on Tuesday of a partially-completed field where Sparky appears at the center.
The Sparky logo, designed by former Disney illustrator Bert Anthony in 1948 and rumored to be based on Walt Disney himself, used to be the athletic program’s primary logo until 2011. Since the introduction of the pitchfork logo, it has been essentially sent into retirement. Last year, the team played with Sparky helmets in the Territorial Cup against the University of Arizona.
- James Harden breaks out creativity for Drive By Dunk Challenge
- After Josh Rosen’s remarks, Sun Devils admit to student-athlete challenges
- McShay: ASU’s Kalen Ballage is the sixth-best NFL Draft prospect at RB
- ASU’s Crow and Anderson address Graham’s future, stadium renovations
- Analytics website predicts a long, dark season for Arizona State