Arizona Cardinals linebacker Alex Okafor will decide between surgery and playing through a torn biceps tendon, coach Bruce Arians said after his team’s 19-3 loss to the Chargers on Friday.
Additionally, Arians said receiver Larry Fitzgerald sat out with a minor MCL injury that isn’t considered serious. Fitzgerald was held out of Wednesday practice but was seen running on the field prior to the Cardinals’ game in San Diego.
Okafor’s season would likely end should he elect for surgery. That is complicated because he is set to become an unrestricted free agent heading into 2017.
Last year, Okafor recorded 31 tackles with two sacks and a fumble recovery.
The Cardinals are set up to weather Okafor’s injury to some degree.
The fourth-year pro is listed second on the depth chart at strongside linebacker, behind offseason trade pickup Chandler Jones.
Second-year linebacker Shaq Riddick, Arizona’s fifth-round pick in the 2015 draft, is next on the depth chart. He did not work his way onto the field after beginning his rookie year banged up.
- Protecting QB Carson Palmer paramount for Arizona Cardinals
- Cardinals tweak roster; sign Ryan Langford and waive Marquis Bundy
- Cardinals QB guru Byron Leftwich is rising up the coaching ranks
- Internet lights up Jags QB Blake Bortles for being bad
- Dealing Cards: Rucker, Arians have ‘transparent conversations’