Arizona Cardinals linebacker Alex Okafor will decide between surgery and playing through a torn biceps tendon, coach Bruce Arians said after his team’s 19-3 loss to the Chargers on Friday.
Additionally, Arians said receiver Larry Fitzgerald sat out with a minor MCL injury that isn’t considered serious. Fitzgerald was held out of Wednesday practice but was seen running on the field prior to the Cardinals’ game in San Diego.
Okafor’s season would likely end should he elect for surgery. That is complicated because he is set to become an unrestricted free agent heading into 2017.
Last year, Okafor recorded 31 tackles with two sacks and a fumble recovery.
The Cardinals are set up to weather Okafor’s injury to some degree.
The fourth-year pro is listed second on the depth chart at strongside linebacker, behind offseason trade pickup Chandler Jones.
Second-year linebacker Shaq Riddick, Arizona’s fifth-round pick in the 2015 draft, is next on the depth chart. He did not work his way onto the field after beginning his rookie year banged up.
- Week 12 injury report: Arizona Cardinals vs. Jacksonville Jaguars
- Arizona sports teams, athletes offer Thanksgiving well wishes
- The 5: Things to be thankful for as an Arizona sports fan in 2017
- Dealing Cards: IR returns look unlikely, Gabbert reviews his NFL journey
- Calais Campbell: Decision to leave Cardinals has ‘worked out’