Updated Dec 4, 2011 - 6:32 pm
Cardinals work overtime to defeat Cowboys
The Cardinals won the coin toss and got the ball first in overtime. On 2nd down and 19, Kolb threw an incomplete pass intended for Andre Roberts, which would have brought up a third and long, but Dallas cornerback Terrence Newman was called for pass interference, giving Arizona a first down at their own 34.
Three plays later, Kolb hit Stephens-Howling out of the backfield, and the diminutive runner did the rest, giving the Cardinals their second- straight 19-13 overtime win in Glendale. Arizona beat the St. Louis Rams by the same margin on November 6th when Patrick Peterson returned a punt 99 yards for a score in overtime.
The win is the fourth in the last five contests for Arizona, and improves their record to 5-7, while Dallas fall to 7-5.
They did what? With :07 remaining in the fourth quarter, Dallas' Dan Bailey lined up for the potential game-winning 49-yard field goal. As Bailey approached the ball, Dallas head coach Jason Garrett called a timeout.
The kick sailed through the uprights, all for naught, as the play had been whistled dead by Garrett's decision. After the timeout, Bailey missed the 49-yarder short, and we were headed to overtime.
They said it - "I'm glad they iced the kicker there at the end so I didn't have to do it." -- Cardinals head coach Ken Whisenhunt.
Kolb's return - Kevin Kolb returned to the field on Sunday for Arizona after missing the last four games with a turf toe injury. For the day Kolb completed 16 of 25 for 247 yards and a touchdown in his second win as a starter.
But Kolb improved mightily in the 2nd half, completing 9 of 14 for 203 yards and the winning score.
"With four weeks off, the game was pretty fast in that first half," Kolb said. "I think the coach did a good job on the first play of the second half, they got me on a bootleg, get you sweating, get you moving around.
"For my own mind, it just flipped everything and I really felt a lot more comfortable."
- Arizona Cardinals place Tyrann Mathieu and Alameda Ta'amu on PUP list
- Cardinals receive 'B' offseason grade from USA Today
- NFL.com's Rosenthal: Calais Campbell among NFL's most underrated players
- Arizona Cardinals' Andre Ellington tops ESPN list of breakout candidates
- Ron Jaworski: Arizona Cardinals' Carson Palmer 20th-best QB in NFL
- Dr. Cynthia Arnson - Immigration and Central America Expert - Tuesday July 22Why are we seeing this influx of immigrant minors?
- Mike Sando, ESPN NFL insider - Tuesday July 22ESPN NFL insider Mike Sando gives updates from around the NFC West as teams head into training camp.
- Lorenzo Alexander, AZ Cardinals linebacker - Friday July 18Cardinals linebacker Lorenzo Alexander talks about team expectations for 2014.
- John McClain, Houston Chronicle sportswriter - Friday July 11Houston Chronicle sportswriter John McClain talks about the Rockets’ offseason.
- Steve Keim, AZ Cardinals GM - Friday June 20Keim discusses his players progress so far and his anticipation of future signings.