Updated Dec 4, 2011 - 6:32 pm
Cardinals work overtime to defeat Cowboys
The Cardinals won the coin toss and got the ball first in overtime. On 2nd down and 19, Kolb threw an incomplete pass intended for Andre Roberts, which would have brought up a third and long, but Dallas cornerback Terrence Newman was called for pass interference, giving Arizona a first down at their own 34.
Three plays later, Kolb hit Stephens-Howling out of the backfield, and the diminutive runner did the rest, giving the Cardinals their second- straight 19-13 overtime win in Glendale. Arizona beat the St. Louis Rams by the same margin on November 6th when Patrick Peterson returned a punt 99 yards for a score in overtime.
The win is the fourth in the last five contests for Arizona, and improves their record to 5-7, while Dallas fall to 7-5.
They did what? With :07 remaining in the fourth quarter, Dallas' Dan Bailey lined up for the potential game-winning 49-yard field goal. As Bailey approached the ball, Dallas head coach Jason Garrett called a timeout.
The kick sailed through the uprights, all for naught, as the play had been whistled dead by Garrett's decision. After the timeout, Bailey missed the 49-yarder short, and we were headed to overtime.
They said it - "I'm glad they iced the kicker there at the end so I didn't have to do it." -- Cardinals head coach Ken Whisenhunt.
Kolb's return - Kevin Kolb returned to the field on Sunday for Arizona after missing the last four games with a turf toe injury. For the day Kolb completed 16 of 25 for 247 yards and a touchdown in his second win as a starter.
But Kolb improved mightily in the 2nd half, completing 9 of 14 for 203 yards and the winning score.
"With four weeks off, the game was pretty fast in that first half," Kolb said. "I think the coach did a good job on the first play of the second half, they got me on a bootleg, get you sweating, get you moving around.
"For my own mind, it just flipped everything and I really felt a lot more comfortable."
- Steve Tasker, NFL Analyst - Wednesday December 11Tasker discusses Carson Palmer, Tyrann Mathieu and what's going on with the Redskins.
- John Abraham, AZ Cardinals - Monday December 9Abraham discusses his outstanding game, his record career and how long he plans to play.
- Steve Keim, AZ Cardinals GM - Monday December 9The Cardinals get a huge division win, but lose a huge piece to their defense.
- Wolf's NFL 5 Star Games - Week 14 - Friday December 6The must-see NFL games of the weekend.
- Wolf's Film Room - Friday December 6Ron Wolfley grinds film all week and shares his findings in the Cardinals-Rams match-up