Updated Dec 4, 2011 - 6:32 pm
Cardinals work overtime to defeat Cowboys
The Cardinals won the coin toss and got the ball first in overtime. On 2nd down and 19, Kolb threw an incomplete pass intended for Andre Roberts, which would have brought up a third and long, but Dallas cornerback Terrence Newman was called for pass interference, giving Arizona a first down at their own 34.
Three plays later, Kolb hit Stephens-Howling out of the backfield, and the diminutive runner did the rest, giving the Cardinals their second- straight 19-13 overtime win in Glendale. Arizona beat the St. Louis Rams by the same margin on November 6th when Patrick Peterson returned a punt 99 yards for a score in overtime.
The win is the fourth in the last five contests for Arizona, and improves their record to 5-7, while Dallas fall to 7-5.
They did what? With :07 remaining in the fourth quarter, Dallas' Dan Bailey lined up for the potential game-winning 49-yard field goal. As Bailey approached the ball, Dallas head coach Jason Garrett called a timeout.
The kick sailed through the uprights, all for naught, as the play had been whistled dead by Garrett's decision. After the timeout, Bailey missed the 49-yarder short, and we were headed to overtime.
They said it - "I'm glad they iced the kicker there at the end so I didn't have to do it." -- Cardinals head coach Ken Whisenhunt.
Kolb's return - Kevin Kolb returned to the field on Sunday for Arizona after missing the last four games with a turf toe injury. For the day Kolb completed 16 of 25 for 247 yards and a touchdown in his second win as a starter.
But Kolb improved mightily in the 2nd half, completing 9 of 14 for 203 yards and the winning score.
"With four weeks off, the game was pretty fast in that first half," Kolb said. "I think the coach did a good job on the first play of the second half, they got me on a bootleg, get you sweating, get you moving around.
"For my own mind, it just flipped everything and I really felt a lot more comfortable."
- Free agent kicker Jay Feely announces he's re-signed with Arizona Cardinals
- NFL Draft '14: Six-round mock draft for the Arizona Cardinals
- Cardinals running back Rashard Mendenhall calls it quits in Huffington Post article
- NFL writer: Cardinals could turn attention to Jared Veldheer if Branden Albert heads to Dolphins
- PFT: All signs point to free agent tackle Albert signing with Dolphins
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Sports Cardinals beat writer - Monday March 10Kent Somers talks all things Cardinals free agency.
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Sports Cardinals beat writer - Thursday March 6Kent Somers discusses the Cardinals' efforts to sign Karlos Dansby.
- Pete Prisco, CBSSports.com NFL writer - Thursday March 6Pete Prisco of CBS Sports discusses the NFL offseason and the NFL draft.
- Jay Feely, Cardinals kicker - Thursday March 6Would a change to the extra point actually hinder player safety?
- Dave Pasch, ESPN play-by-play announcer - Tuesday March 4Dave Pasch, ESPN play-by-play announcer, discusses UA and ASU basketball.