Updated Nov 5, 2012 - 7:13 pm
Cardinals linebacker O'Brien Schofield to miss rest of season
As if the team's current five-game losing streak wasn't enough, outside linebacker O'Brien Schofield tweeted Monday night that he will miss the remainder of the 2012 season.
Schofield left Sunday's 31-17 loss at Green Bay with an apparent left ankle injury, after defensive tackle Darnell Dockett was pushed back into the third-year linebacker.
The severity of the ankle injury was unknown when the Cardinals headed back to the Valley Sunday night, but the team was hopeful Schofield hadn't suffered a high ankle sprain.
Schofield underwent an MRI on Monday, and while he isn't a doctor, the prognosis based on the tweet doesn't appear to be good.
I'm out for the season. I'm sorry Cardinal fans. But I will be back and stronger then ever. This yr was just a preview of why is to Come.— O'Brien (@Ob_Scho) November 6, 2012
On the season, Schofield has four sacks and 34 total tackles -- good for fourth-best on the team.
The injury is especially painful for the Cardinals, who are rather thin at the position. Quentin Groves -- two sacks and 17 tackles -- has played admirably as Schofield's backup, but after that it's slim pickings for Arizona.
Zach Nash, a rookie, was activated off the practice squad this week, and was third on the depth chart behind Schofield and Groves against the Packers.
Inside linebacker Stewart Bradley has seen very limited time this season, but was used on the outside during certain packages last year.
- Arizona Cardinals begin camp with confidence and optimism
- Arizona Cardinals' Tyrann Mathieu takes another step closer to returning to the field
- Cardinals ILB Kevin Minter on trying to replace Karlos Dansby: 'It's going to be like college again'
- Carson Palmer: Arizona Cardinals need to run the football to win in the NFC West
- Carson Palmer: Arizona Cardinals are 'completely different team' from last year
- Kent Somers- AZCentral Sports - Friday July 25AZCentral Sports Cardinals beat writer Kent Somers discusses some of the challenges facing the Cardi
- Kevin Minter-Cardinals linebacker - Friday July 25Arizona Cardinals linebacker Kevin Minter discusses his new role this upcoming season.
- Bickley Blast - Friday July 25The Cardinals kick off training camp with high expectations.
- Impromptu Power Poll - Friday July 25What are the top 5 position battles for the AZ Cardinals heading into training camp?
- Carson Palmer, AZ Cardinals QB - Friday July 25Cardinals QB Carson Palmer describes the key to this offense winning games.