Updated Nov 29, 2012 - 4:30 pm
ESPN insider expects Ray Horton to get head coaching interviews
Horton has helped transform one of the league's worst defenses into one of its best over the last two seasons, and a feat like that is not likely to go unrecognized or unrewarded.
There is some thought that perhaps the Cardinals, should they decide to part ways with Ken Whisenhunt, may look to promote the second-year coordinator.
If Whisenhunt stays, though, given the fact that Horton interviewed with the St. Louis Rams for their top job before the team chose Jeff Fisher, it stands to reason his name will be brought up when other openings arise.
"I think he can get one or two interviews, which I think is merited," ESPN NFL insider John Clayton told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf Thursday. "I don't necessarily know if he's, at this stage, ready to get a head coaching job."
"Clearly he's put himself in a position to get the interview," Clayton said. "Ray will go and use those interviews as a good education so that he can gear himself and be ready.
"I still remember talking to a lot of young coaches and the big thing is OK, it's nice to get a job, but it's better to get a job when you're ready to be the head coach."
Clayton said Horton has learned very fast, as he was a position coach as recently as two years ago.
- Teddy Williams looking to make Arizona Cardinals as a cornerback
- Arizona Cardinals' Bobby Massie eager to earn back starting job at right tackle
- A 'confident' Andre Ellington excited about increased role with Arizona Cardinals
- All-Access with Bruce Arians: Fighting not tolerated in Cardinals camp
- Antonio Cromartie: Arizona Cardinals ‘most talented secondary' he has been a part of
- Lorenzo Alexander- Cardinals linebacker - Monday July 28Lorenzo Alexander gives his take on replacing Daryl Washington and praises former teammate London Fl
- Darren Urban, Arizona Cardinals reporter - Monday July 28Cardinals reporter Darren Urban discusses team improvements and which player he thinks will have a b
- Antonio Cromartie, Cardinals defensive back - Monday July 28Antonio Cromartie talks about his expectations for this year's Arizona Cardinals.
- Bruce Arians, Cardinals head coach - Monday July 28Cardinals coach Bruce Arians talks about the first days of training camp and what he's seen from pl
- Dave Pasch, Voice of the Arizona Cardinals - Monday July 28The voice of the Cardinals Dave Pasch shares his first impressions of training camp.