Updated Jun 24, 2014 - 1:47 pm
Patrick Peterson and Antonio Cromartie named amongst NFL's 'overrated' corners
Shutdown Corner writer Eric Edholm says Peterson is a player that matches up well against bigger wide receivers such as Julio Jones in man coverage, but tried to reason why the former LSU Tiger is more hyped up than he deserves to be.
But smart, savvy and quicker receivers can give him fits. Double moves still befuddle Peterson. Yes, he can do things that 90 percent of corners cannot, but Peterson is still attacked regularly and beaten with some level of frequency that keeps him out of the elite category.
Peterson had three interceptions and 40 tackles in his third season with the team, which earned him a Pro Bowl appearance and a spot as a first-team All-Pro. Edholm also gave Peterson some credit for his confidence and that while his physicality is great, it's not "truly elite."
As for Peterson's teammate, Frank Schwab explained that although Cromartie is looked at as one of the better cornerbacks in the NFL, he has suffered a severe drop off in recent years.
Cromartie had a great 2007 season, with 10 interceptions, and that's when he started being considered one of the best cornerbacks in the game. He also hasn't done a ton since then. Cromartie moved on from the Chargers to the Jets, and next season he'll be with the Cardinals. Unless Cromartie can recapture his 2012 season (which was legitimately good), all Arizona will be getting is the post-2007 Cromartie, which is a corner who makes a big play here or there but generally gives up plenty, too.
While the Cardinals secondary is once again expected to be one of the toughest in the league next season, if these writers are correct, it could have a few more holes than anticipated.
- Arizona Cardinals linebacker Larry Foote says defense is good enough to overcome Darnell Dockett injury
- Notes from the Nest: Aug. 22, 2014
- Arizona Cardinals' DE Calais Campbell: Dockett injury 'sucks,' others need to step up
- A game-time decision, Jonathan Cooper going through learning experience with Arizona Cardinals
- Arizona Cardinals RB Andre Ellington bulks up in anticipation of harder hits this season
- Peter King, SI.com senior NFL writer - Friday August 22Peter King thinks Carson Palmer could have a big year for the Cardinals.
- Michael Floyd, Cardinals wide receiver - Friday August 22Michael Floyd says he thinks he can be the best wide receiver in the NFL.
- Jared Veldheer, Cardinals tackle - Friday August 22Jared Veldheer talks about his road from a Division II college to the NFL.
- Bob McManaman- Arizona Republic senior sportswriter - Friday August 22Bob McManaman believes that Jay Feely is in danger of getting cut from the Cardinals.
- Andre Ellington- Cardinals running back - Friday August 22Andre Ellington looks forward to a break out year with the Arizona Cardinals.