Updated Dec 9, 2011 - 8:43 am
Update: ASU not considering coordinators
On Thursday night, Arizona Sports' Paul Calvisi took to Twitter for his latest findings:
ASU Update: Source tells me tonight to "expect next ASU head coach to have HC experience. No coordinators." That's per Patterson directive.
Patterson is, of course, Steve Patterson, who was named chief operating officer of Sun Devil Athletics and managing director of the Sun Devil Sports Group this past July. There has been plenty of debate about who exactly is leading this search for ASU, and Calvisi's source seems to clear that up.
If "Patterson's directive" is indeed followed, this would eliminate some names that have surfaced in the last 36 hours as candidates for Arizona State.
The hot name on Thursday was Justin Wilcox, Tennessee's 36-year-old defensive coordinator. He would be eliminated because of his lack of head coaching experience. That directive would also eliminate Wisconsin offensive coordinator Paul Chryst and Oregon offensive coordinator Mark Helfrich.
Patterson's reported preference for experience would keep former South Florida head coach Jim Leavitt, current Air Force coach Troy Calhoun and Chicago Bears offensive coordinator Mike Martz "eligible", although there's been no overtures from ASU or reports that they're in consideration.
- Sun Devils hold Pro Day in front of big NFL contingent
- ASU head coach Todd Graham not concerned about loss of talent on defense
- NFL Draft '14: Recapping Arizona's Pro Day and looking ahead to ASU's
- NFL analyst on ASU DT Will Sutton: 'He's going to be a player in the NFL'
- Maybe defenses do need a break from fast-paced O
- Bill Frieder, former Arizona State basketball head coach - Friday March 7Bill Frieder discusses the state of ASU basketball, and what should the NBA do about the draft age t
- Eric Musselman, ASU basketball associate head coac - Friday March 7Eric Musselman talks about his relationship with Gerald Green, his thoughts on Jahii Carson's seaso
- Todd Graham, ASU Football Head Coach - Friday March 7What's the state of ASU Football?
- Stewart Mandel, SI.com college football writer - Thursday March 6Stewart Mandel talks about why the proposed rule to limit hurry up offenses in college football was
- Ray Anderson, ASU Athletic Director - Wednesday March 5Ray Anderson talks all things ASU with Dan and Vince.