Updated Dec 9, 2011 - 8:43 am
Update: ASU not considering coordinators
On Thursday night, Arizona Sports' Paul Calvisi took to Twitter for his latest findings:
ASU Update: Source tells me tonight to "expect next ASU head coach to have HC experience. No coordinators." That's per Patterson directive.
Patterson is, of course, Steve Patterson, who was named chief operating officer of Sun Devil Athletics and managing director of the Sun Devil Sports Group this past July. There has been plenty of debate about who exactly is leading this search for ASU, and Calvisi's source seems to clear that up.
If "Patterson's directive" is indeed followed, this would eliminate some names that have surfaced in the last 36 hours as candidates for Arizona State.
The hot name on Thursday was Justin Wilcox, Tennessee's 36-year-old defensive coordinator. He would be eliminated because of his lack of head coaching experience. That directive would also eliminate Wisconsin offensive coordinator Paul Chryst and Oregon offensive coordinator Mark Helfrich.
Patterson's reported preference for experience would keep former South Florida head coach Jim Leavitt, current Air Force coach Troy Calhoun and Chicago Bears offensive coordinator Mike Martz "eligible", although there's been no overtures from ASU or reports that they're in consideration.
- ASU quarterback Taylor Kelly caps spring with successful scrimmage performance
- Todd Graham pleased ahead of ASU spring football game
- ASU's Mo Latu losing weight and gaining confidence
- ASU A.D. Anderson: New fee gives students more ownership of Sun Devil athletics
- ASU AD: Overtraining still a serious problem for student-athletes
- Ray Anderson, Arizona State athletic director - Thursday April 17Ray Anderson talks about the new athletic fee and what it means for students. Also, what does it mea
- Gary Lane, ASU rugby coach - Friday April 11ASU rugby coach Gary Lane talks about his team's upcoming game against BYU.
- Chris Karpman, ASU Devils.com - Wednesday April 9ASU Devils.com Chris Karpman discusses the new student athletic fee.
- Ray Anderson, Arizona State athletic director - Wednesday April 9Arizona State athletic director Ray Anderson discusses the new student athletic fee.
- Ray Anderson, ASU Athletic Director - Wednesday April 2Ray Anderson discusses ASU spring sports.