Updated Dec 9, 2011 - 8:43 am
Update: ASU not considering coordinators
On Thursday night, Arizona Sports' Paul Calvisi took to Twitter for his latest findings:
ASU Update: Source tells me tonight to "expect next ASU head coach to have HC experience. No coordinators." That's per Patterson directive.
Patterson is, of course, Steve Patterson, who was named chief operating officer of Sun Devil Athletics and managing director of the Sun Devil Sports Group this past July. There has been plenty of debate about who exactly is leading this search for ASU, and Calvisi's source seems to clear that up.
If "Patterson's directive" is indeed followed, this would eliminate some names that have surfaced in the last 36 hours as candidates for Arizona State.
The hot name on Thursday was Justin Wilcox, Tennessee's 36-year-old defensive coordinator. He would be eliminated because of his lack of head coaching experience. That directive would also eliminate Wisconsin offensive coordinator Paul Chryst and Oregon offensive coordinator Mark Helfrich.
Patterson's reported preference for experience would keep former South Florida head coach Jim Leavitt, current Air Force coach Troy Calhoun and Chicago Bears offensive coordinator Mike Martz "eligible", although there's been no overtures from ASU or reports that they're in consideration.
- Chris Karpman, Publisher of ASUdevils.com - Thursday December 12ASU has one commitment among high school prospects in the state. What does this mean?
- Rocky Harris, Senior Associate Athletic Director - Thursday December 12The aftermath of the Sun Devils loss to Stanford.
- Ed Cunningham, ESPN College Football Analyst - Monday December 9ASU's heartbreaking loss, the other Championship Saturday games and Selection Sunday.
- Glenn Parker, Pac-12 Network football analyst - Friday December 6Glenn Parker previews the Pac-12 Championship game.
- Joe Schad, ESPN college football reporter - Friday December 6A national perspective on the ASU-Stanford Pac 12 Championship Game