Updated Dec 9, 2011 - 8:43 am
Update: ASU not considering coordinators
On Thursday night, Arizona Sports' Paul Calvisi took to Twitter for his latest findings:
ASU Update: Source tells me tonight to "expect next ASU head coach to have HC experience. No coordinators." That's per Patterson directive.
Patterson is, of course, Steve Patterson, who was named chief operating officer of Sun Devil Athletics and managing director of the Sun Devil Sports Group this past July. There has been plenty of debate about who exactly is leading this search for ASU, and Calvisi's source seems to clear that up.
If "Patterson's directive" is indeed followed, this would eliminate some names that have surfaced in the last 36 hours as candidates for Arizona State.
The hot name on Thursday was Justin Wilcox, Tennessee's 36-year-old defensive coordinator. He would be eliminated because of his lack of head coaching experience. That directive would also eliminate Wisconsin offensive coordinator Paul Chryst and Oregon offensive coordinator Mark Helfrich.
Patterson's reported preference for experience would keep former South Florida head coach Jim Leavitt, current Air Force coach Troy Calhoun and Chicago Bears offensive coordinator Mike Martz "eligible", although there's been no overtures from ASU or reports that they're in consideration.
- More than all-access
- Mel Kiper Jr.: ASU's Sutton, Bradford could be taken on second or third day of draft
- ASU AD Ray Anderson: 'The love and the passion for Pat Tillman is palpable'
- Pat Tillman's death remembered 10 years later
- ASU quarterback Taylor Kelly caps spring with successful scrimmage performance
- Ray Anderson, ASU Athletic Director - Tuesday April 22Ray Anderson discusses Pat Tillman's legacy at ASU.
- Ray Anderson, Arizona State athletic director - Thursday April 17Ray Anderson talks about the new athletic fee and what it means for students. Also, what does it mea
- Gary Lane, ASU rugby coach - Friday April 11ASU rugby coach Gary Lane talks about his team's upcoming game against BYU.
- Chris Karpman, ASU Devils.com - Wednesday April 9ASU Devils.com Chris Karpman discusses the new student athletic fee.
- Ray Anderson, Arizona State athletic director - Wednesday April 9Arizona State athletic director Ray Anderson discusses the new student athletic fee.