Updated Dec 9, 2011 - 8:43 am
Update: ASU not considering coordinators
On Thursday night, Arizona Sports' Paul Calvisi took to Twitter for his latest findings:
ASU Update: Source tells me tonight to "expect next ASU head coach to have HC experience. No coordinators." That's per Patterson directive.
Patterson is, of course, Steve Patterson, who was named chief operating officer of Sun Devil Athletics and managing director of the Sun Devil Sports Group this past July. There has been plenty of debate about who exactly is leading this search for ASU, and Calvisi's source seems to clear that up.
If "Patterson's directive" is indeed followed, this would eliminate some names that have surfaced in the last 36 hours as candidates for Arizona State.
The hot name on Thursday was Justin Wilcox, Tennessee's 36-year-old defensive coordinator. He would be eliminated because of his lack of head coaching experience. That directive would also eliminate Wisconsin offensive coordinator Paul Chryst and Oregon offensive coordinator Mark Helfrich.
Patterson's reported preference for experience would keep former South Florida head coach Jim Leavitt, current Air Force coach Troy Calhoun and Chicago Bears offensive coordinator Mike Martz "eligible", although there's been no overtures from ASU or reports that they're in consideration.
- Pac Mentality Week 1: Is Cal headed back to relevancy?
- Carl Bradford, Marquis Flowers highlight list of local products who made NFL rosters
- Fork Report: ASU rides 'Big Three' to season-opening blowout of Weber State
- ASU takes care of business in Opening Night rout of Weber State: By The Numbers
- Former Arizona State RB Marion Grice shines for Chargers in preseason finale
- Jeff Van Raaphorst, Sun Devil Football Color Analyst - Friday August 29Doug and Wolf talk to Sun Devil football color analyst Jeff Van Raaphorst.
- Doug Haller, AZCentral Sports - Thursday August 28Doug Haller predicts the Sun Devil offense won't play much after halftime of tonight's game.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday August 28Which Valley football team will win more games this season, the Cardinals or the Sun Devils?
- Larry Scott - Pac-12 commissioner - Wednesday August 27Pac-12 commissioner Larry Scott believes the Pac-12 will continue to rise and get stronger.
- Ray Anderson - ASU athletic director - Wednesday August 27ASU Athletic Director Ray Anderson prepares for his first ASU football season.