Updated Mar 29, 2012 - 2:33 pm
Jake Plummer believes ASU is heading in the right direction
Still, when his alma mater was matched up with Boise State in the MAACO Las Vegas Bowl last December, his embarrassment was not for the Sun Devils, who lost 56-24.
"I was a little upset that Boise State was put in a game to play the Arizona State Sun Devils," Plummer told Arizona Sports 620's Burns and Gambo. "That may rile some fans out there, but I thought it was a slap in Boise State's face that they had to play my alma mater.
"I actually was kind of embarrassed."
The good news for Plummer's school is that they have moved on from the disappointment that was last season, having fired head coach Dennis Erickson and replaced him with Todd Graham. And, with the new guy now running the show, the 2012 Arizona Sports Hall of Fame inductee says things are looking up in Tempe.
Plummer is impressed with the school getting former players and alumni more involved with the decision-making process, as he feels it will lead to positive changes.
"What's going to turn this program around is to see familiar faces from days past that have done it," Plummer said, "that went to [Camp] Tontozona, that put in the blood, sweat and tears to be the pride that a Sun Devil needs to have.
"I think that these kids had lost that, but they're going to get it back. It will happen."
- Sun Devils ranked 18th in preseason coaches poll
- ASU's Todd Graham: 'This is the best offensive team I've been around'
- ESPN ranks ASU's Taylor Kelly and Jaelen Strong among top 100 players in college football
- ASU coach Todd Graham excited for Taylor Kelly and offense's potential in 2014
- Arizona State coach Todd Graham confident defense will be fine
- Tracy Smith, ASU Baseball Head Coach - Thursday July 31ASU baseball’s new head coach Tracy Smith talks about taking over the program.
- Todd Graham, ASU Football Head Coach - Thursday July 31Head coach Todd Graham talks about the upcoming season of ASU football.
- Dr. Michael Crow, ASU president - Wednesday July 23ASU president Dr. Michael Crow is this week’s guest on the Fork Report.
- Adam Archuleta, former ASU & NFL defensive back - Wednesday July 16Former ASU & NFL DB Adam Archuleta is the guest on this week’s ASU Fork Report.
- Darren Woodson, former Sun Devil & NFL defensive back - Wednesday July 9Former Sun Devil DB Darren Woodson shares his thoughts on ASU football.