Updated Mar 29, 2012 - 2:33 pm
Jake Plummer believes ASU is heading in the right direction
Still, when his alma mater was matched up with Boise State in the MAACO Las Vegas Bowl last December, his embarrassment was not for the Sun Devils, who lost 56-24.
"I was a little upset that Boise State was put in a game to play the Arizona State Sun Devils," Plummer told Arizona Sports 620's Burns and Gambo. "That may rile some fans out there, but I thought it was a slap in Boise State's face that they had to play my alma mater.
"I actually was kind of embarrassed."
The good news for Plummer's school is that they have moved on from the disappointment that was last season, having fired head coach Dennis Erickson and replaced him with Todd Graham. And, with the new guy now running the show, the 2012 Arizona Sports Hall of Fame inductee says things are looking up in Tempe.
Plummer is impressed with the school getting former players and alumni more involved with the decision-making process, as he feels it will lead to positive changes.
"What's going to turn this program around is to see familiar faces from days past that have done it," Plummer said, "that went to [Camp] Tontozona, that put in the blood, sweat and tears to be the pride that a Sun Devil needs to have.
"I think that these kids had lost that, but they're going to get it back. It will happen."
- Todd Graham pleased ahead of ASU spring football game
- ASU's Mo Latu losing weight and gaining confidence
- ASU A.D. Anderson: New fee gives students more ownership of Sun Devil athletics
- ASU AD: Overtraining still a serious problem for student-athletes
- ASU and LSU agree to home-and-home series in 2022, 2023
- Gary Lane, ASU rugby coach - Friday April 11ASU rugby coach Gary Lane talks about his team's upcoming game against BYU.
- Chris Karpman, ASU Devils.com - Wednesday April 9ASU Devils.com Chris Karpman discusses the new student athletic fee.
- Ray Anderson, Arizona State athletic director - Wednesday April 9Arizona State athletic director Ray Anderson discusses the new student athletic fee.
- Ray Anderson, ASU Athletic Director - Wednesday April 2Ray Anderson discusses ASU spring sports.
- Ray Anderson, ASU Athletic Director - Thursday March 27Ray Anderson looks back on the Sun Devil men's basketball season.