Updated Nov 13, 2012 - 2:28 pm
ASU's Deantre Lewis moving back to offense
Back in September, in an effort to bolster the defensive depth, Graham decided to switch sophomore Deantre Lewis from tailback and give him a shot at safety.
Lewis saw action in a handful of games on defense, tallying four total tackles. But he wasn't part of the travel team that lost at USC 38-17, and it now looks like the experiment is over.
"We tried to move him over to DB and I think it's been very tough from a learning standpoint for him," Graham said following Tuesday's practice in Tempe. "He kind of was excited about it for a couple weeks, then he got kind of confused and kind of hit a wall, so we're going to probably move him back and get him going, working at tailback."
Lewis opened eyes as a true freshman in 2010 when he ran for 552 yards on just 92 carries and scored four touchdowns. In that season, he had three consecutive games with more than 100 yards rushing (122 at Wisconsin, 127 vs. Oregon and 104 at Oregon State). He was also a threat in the passing game, catching 23 balls for 370 yards and another score.
Lewis was shot in February of 2011 while visiting family in Riverside, California. He didn't play last season while recovering from his injuries.
"Deantre helped us in some nickel and dime stuff, he just wasn't able to progress," Graham said. "So he wasn't playing, and if he's not going to play, we'd rather him be back over there and give us some depth at running back."
- Arizona State 60 minutes from punching ticket to first Rose Bowl in 17 years
- ASU's Todd Graham: 'We've got to take it' from Stanford
- Less than 5,000 tickets remain for Pac-12 Championship Game
- ASU students anxiously anticipate Pac-12 Championship
- ASU Associate AD Rocky Harris: ‘Haven't seen this kind of excitement since 1996'
- Jean Boyd, ASU Associate AD - Friday December 6Boyd explains the importance of ASU football's "Rock Walk" tradition
- Jeff Van Raaphorst, ASU Football Color Analyst - Friday December 6Is this the biggest game in ASU football history?
- Rocky Harris, ASU Associate AD - Friday December 6What will be the economic impact of ASU's success?
- Todd Graham, Head Coach ASU Football - Friday December 6Todd Graham talks to Doug and Wolf about the Pac-12 Championship Game.
- Jake Plummer, Pac-12 Network College Football Analyst - Thursday December 5Jake the Snake shares inspiring insight into ASU football and the Tillman Tunnel