Updated Feb 22, 2012 - 4:53 pm
ASU basketball turns an eye towards next season
Count Bo Barnes and Evan Gordon among those.
The two have been practicing every day but yet have not seen a single minute of action. Per NCAA rules neither is allowed to suit up for games. They are transfers---Barnes from Hawaii, Gordon from Liberty---and must sit out the entire season.
Added Gordon, "Just watching the team kind of struggle this year kind of hurts but it just makes me more hungry for next year."
Next year. It can't come soon enough.
Both Barnes and Gordon, along with former Mesa High standout Jahii Carson (ruled inelgible in December), are doing their best to focus not on what they weren't allowed to do this season but what they can do next season.
Barnes is a 6-4 shooting guard who made more three-point field goals (57) than any freshman in Hawaii history.
"Growing up here (he's from Scottsdale) I always wanted to play for ASU. I was a little too far, being that far from home so I decided to come back."
Gordon is a 6-3 combo guard who feels he's best suited to play the two-guard position. He averaged 14.4 points per game as a sophomore at Liberty last year. "I bring a lot of scoring," he stated.
Gordon also brings an NBA pedigree. His brother, Eric, plays for the New Orleans Hornets. Gordon transferred to ASU in part to be closer to his brother, who at the time was an L.A. Clipper before being traded. "I still like to be here (in Tempe)," Gordon said.
Barnes, Gordon and Carson are building a camaraderie working together on the scout team.
Have they beaten the starting unit? "Yeah," Gordon laughs. "We do."
"We've been fortunate," said head coach Herb Sendek, "to have three guys that are able to really increase the competitiveness of our practices. And I think all three are outstanding young players."
- Former ASU Sun Devil Carrick Felix ‘excited' by opportunity to play with LeBron James
- Former ASU Sun Devil Jordan Bachynski enjoying 'chance to learn' with Charlotte Hornets
- Jordan Bachynski to play for Hornets Summer League team
- Jahii Carson, Jermaine Marshall to play for Rockets Summer League team in Orlando
- ASU's Sendek listed among coaches on the 'hot seat' in 2014-15
- Adam Archuleta, former ASU & NFL defensive back - Wednesday July 16Former ASU & NFL DB Adam Archuleta is the guest on this week’s ASU Fork Report.
- Darren Woodson, former Sun Devil & NFL defensive back - Wednesday July 9Former Sun Devil DB Darren Woodson shares his thoughts on ASU football.
- Herb Sendek- ASU men's bball coach - Wednesday June 25ASU men's basketball coach Herb Sendek talks Sun Devil basketball and the NBA Draft.
- Fran Fraschilla- ESPN college basketball insider - Friday June 20ESPN College basketball insider Fran Fraschilla joins the show to discuss the 2014 NBA Draft.
- Willie Bloomquist, Seattle Mariners infielder & former Sun Devil - Wednesday June 18Is managing in former Sun Devil Willie Bloomquist’s future?