Updated Feb 22, 2012 - 4:53 pm
ASU basketball turns an eye towards next season
Count Bo Barnes and Evan Gordon among those.
The two have been practicing every day but yet have not seen a single minute of action. Per NCAA rules neither is allowed to suit up for games. They are transfers---Barnes from Hawaii, Gordon from Liberty---and must sit out the entire season.
Added Gordon, "Just watching the team kind of struggle this year kind of hurts but it just makes me more hungry for next year."
Next year. It can't come soon enough.
Both Barnes and Gordon, along with former Mesa High standout Jahii Carson (ruled inelgible in December), are doing their best to focus not on what they weren't allowed to do this season but what they can do next season.
Barnes is a 6-4 shooting guard who made more three-point field goals (57) than any freshman in Hawaii history.
"Growing up here (he's from Scottsdale) I always wanted to play for ASU. I was a little too far, being that far from home so I decided to come back."
Gordon is a 6-3 combo guard who feels he's best suited to play the two-guard position. He averaged 14.4 points per game as a sophomore at Liberty last year. "I bring a lot of scoring," he stated.
Gordon also brings an NBA pedigree. His brother, Eric, plays for the New Orleans Hornets. Gordon transferred to ASU in part to be closer to his brother, who at the time was an L.A. Clipper before being traded. "I still like to be here (in Tempe)," Gordon said.
Barnes, Gordon and Carson are building a camaraderie working together on the scout team.
Have they beaten the starting unit? "Yeah," Gordon laughs. "We do."
"We've been fortunate," said head coach Herb Sendek, "to have three guys that are able to really increase the competitiveness of our practices. And I think all three are outstanding young players."
- ASU athletic director hopes to make 'significant improvements' to men's basketball team
- Flat start dooms Sun Devils in loss to Ducks: By the Numbers
- Have the Sun Devils done enough to earn an NCAA Tournament invite?
- In Carson's last home game, Sun Devils rout Bears
- ASU guard Jahii Carson will not return for junior season
- Bill Frieder, former Arizona State basketball head coach - Friday March 7Bill Frieder discusses the state of ASU basketball, and what should the NBA do about the draft age t
- Eric Musselman, ASU basketball associate head coac - Friday March 7Eric Musselman talks about his relationship with Gerald Green, his thoughts on Jahii Carson's seaso
- Todd Graham, ASU Football Head Coach - Friday March 7What's the state of ASU Football?
- Stewart Mandel, SI.com college football writer - Thursday March 6Stewart Mandel talks about why the proposed rule to limit hurry up offenses in college football was
- Ray Anderson, ASU Athletic Director - Wednesday March 5Ray Anderson talks all things ASU with Dan and Vince.