Updated Mar 21, 2014 - 10:23 am
Jahii Carson finishes Arizona State career with no regrets
Carson, a redshirt sophomore, scored 19 points on 6-of-16 shooting in Thursday's 87-85 NCAA Tournament loss to Texas. He dished out nine assists while grabbing four rebounds and two steals.
But he and his team couldn't corral the most important board of the game, as Cameron Ridley rebounded Jonathan Holmes' missed three and flipped the ball into the basket as the buzzer sounded.
"When they got the ball coming down for the last shot we felt confident," Carson said after the game. "I saw everybody in a great defensive stance. Everybody had that look in their eye that their man wasn't going to score.
"He took a long contested three. The ball didn't bounce our way and, you know, things happen that way."
It is the NCAA Tournament, after all.
"It was tough, especially on a game-winning buzzer, last second shot, for any game it's tough, but especially since it's March Madness and we wanted to get to the second round so bad," he said. "It's just very emotional for all us."
It's not the first time Carson or the Sun Devils have been downed in a heartbreaking fashion, and it certainly won't be the last. Carson, who averaged 18.6 points, 4.6 assists and four rebounds per game this season, plans on entering the 2014 NBA Draft.
So while his ASU tenure may be over, his basketball career most certainly is not.
"I'm very happy and pleased with my career here at Arizona State," he said. "I've had great coaches, I've had great mentors -- people to help guide me, not just in the basketball aspect of my life, but outside in my personal life. I've had great teammates, I've had a great supporting cast. My family has supported me.
"So this is great; I look back and I have no regrets."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Former Sun Devil Jahii Carson signs with Australian team
- ASU basketball to face Maryland in CBE Hall of Fame Classic
- Former Sun Devil Kevin Kruger joins NAU men's basketball staff
- Former ASU Sun Devil Carrick Felix ‘excited' by opportunity to play with LeBron James
- Former ASU Sun Devil Jordan Bachynski enjoying 'chance to learn' with Charlotte Hornets
- Todd Graham - Wednesday August 27Arizona State football coach Todd Graham discusses his team's upcoming matchup against Weber State.
- Mark May, ESPN college football analyst - Tuesday August 26Mark May shares his thoughts on the upcoming college football season.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday August 26Could the Sun Devils' offense be one of the most prolific in the Pac-12?
- Jake Plummer- Former Cardinals and Sun Devils quarterback - Wednesday August 20Jake Plummer says Johnny Manziel is just passionate about the game of football.
- Craig Grialou- Arizona Sports reporter - Friday August 15Craig Grialou says the Chip Sarafin story isn't even talked about within the ASU Football team.