Updated Mar 24, 2014 - 10:10 am
Is ASU's Herb Sendek a candidate for Wake Forest job?
Last week, Wake Forest head coach Jeff Bzdelik resigned following a disappointing four-year stint during which the Demon Deacons went 51-76 overall, a woeful 17-41 (.293) in ACC play and failed to reach the NCAA Tournament.
DeaconsIllustrated.com, a Rivals.com site, has listed potential candidates for the Wake post -- 25 of them, in fact -- and Arizona State's Herb Sendek is listed in the category of "other candidates," along with names like Tennessee's Cuonzo Martin, Syracuse assistant Mike Hopkins, Duke assistant Steve Wojciechowski and Elon head coach Matt Matheny.
Sendek has taken three programs to the NCAA Tournament; Miami (Ohio), NC State and Arizona State, and knows the ACC after 10 seasons as head coach of the Wolfpack.
Sendek just guided the Sun Devils to the NCAA Tournament for the second time in his eight-year tenure. ASU lost to Texas in a second-round game last Thursday to end the season with a 21-12 record.
In 10 years at North Carolina State, the 50-year-old coach posted a 191-132 record and five NCAA Tournament appearances.
The article does list a wide range of coaches, from Wichita State's Gregg Marshall and VCU's Shaka Smart to former UCLA coach Ben Howland and current Dayton head coach Archie Miller, who just received a contract extension that will keep him on the Flyers' bench through the 2018-19 season.
Sendek has received a vote of confidence concerning his job status at Arizona State from new athletic director Ray Anderson last week.
- ASU basketball to face Maryland in CBE Hall of Fame Classic
- Former Sun Devil Kevin Kruger joins NAU men's basketball staff
- Former ASU Sun Devil Carrick Felix ‘excited' by opportunity to play with LeBron James
- Former ASU Sun Devil Jordan Bachynski enjoying 'chance to learn' with Charlotte Hornets
- Jordan Bachynski to play for Hornets Summer League team
- Craig Grialou- Arizona Sports reporter - Friday August 15Craig Grialou says the Chip Sarafin story isn't even talked about within the ASU Football team.
- Craig Grialou, AZ Sports Intrepid Sports Reporter - Friday August 15Craig gives us an update on ASU football training camp in Camp T.
- Jeff Van Raaphorst, ASU Rose Bowl winning quarterback - Thursday August 14Does ASU's offense have enough firepower to overcome it's defensive shortcomings?
- ASU Fork Report - Wednesday August 13ASU Fork Report featuring Greg McElroy!
- Mike Norvell, offensive coordinator ASU football - Tuesday August 12How does coach Norvell feel about ASU's offense heading into camp?